• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Anyone removed their body side moldings?

MWR

I was just looking my '07 over today and I'm thinking it might look better without the body side moldings.  I'd hate to be the guinea pig, so I'm hoping someone else has tried this and could post a pic.

Some of the base type models don't come with this. Maybe you can find one of those to compare looks. IMO your looking for door dings by doing that.

I was thinking about the same thing and found these without molding.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,086
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,078
some more.

Attachments

• 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,073
  • grey.jpg
    grey.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,073
Man those are nice..... just need lowering a bit    (y)

billhill said:
Some of the base type models don't come with this. Maybe you can find one of those to compare looks. IMO your looking for door dings by doing that.

I agree, I'll stick with the molding.

billhill said:

That won't be a problem where I park - a mile away from everything.  But after seeing the pics, I think I'll keep them.  I don't plan on removing the Avalanche letters, and they only seem to look right completely debadged. 

Thanks for posting the pics.

speaking of moldings, on my orange one the paint quality on the moldingd themselves sucks, the paint on the truck is perfect but the moldings paint SUCKS :E:
been thinking of using the chrome cover moldins on ebay, anyone else like them? or have pics of them on orange?

NOT MINE.  Found the pics a while ago and kept them as reference.

Attachments

• avy2.jpg
    avy2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,001
  • avy3.jpg
    avy3.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 995
goatboy said:
speaking of moldings, on my orange one the paint quality on the moldingd themselves sucks, the paint on the truck is perfect but the moldings paint SUCKS :E:

That's actually what got me thinking about removing them, and why I made the original post.  The color on mine even look a shade off.

i like the chrome a LOTTTTT  :B: i think i will order them now, thanks a lot for posting those pics man
seeya
goatboy

i was having the same problem with the paint on my black av. it was a different shade of black and the passenger side front door molding was peeling back about 2-3 inches. I decided just to take them off because my buddy had his 07 tahoe shaved of the moldings. I think it looks much better personally, makes the doors look a lot longer and seems to make the truck look taller. Plus everything else was shaved so I figured why not. Cant wait to lower it and get the black 24's on it...

Where can I find the chrome side moldings?

Whats the best aftermarket site for 07 AV gear?

For those of you who have removed your BSMs, did it ruin the paint on them?  I think mine are coming off, and just incase I decide someday to reinstall them, I'm hoping that they wouldn't need to be repainted.

MWR said:
That's actually what got me thinking about removing them, and why I made the original post.? The color on mine even look a shade off.
I've noticed that on a lot of Avs and Silverados with "color-matched" moldings. Especially Silver and Pewter ones.

"Where can I find the chrome side moldings?"
Can usually find them on ebay.

MWR said:
For those of you who have removed your BSMs, did it ruin the paint on them?? I think mine are coming off, and just incase I decide someday to reinstall them, I'm hoping that they wouldn't need to be repainted.

no paint damage...I intend to reinstall them when I turn in the lease. The old fishing wire trick works fine, its just 3m tape

clean - lean - mean !!!

left2007.jpg

After all this time I am finally going to ditch the moldings this weekend.  The paint on them is just terrible and they look awful after 3 years.  I am hoping the color underneath looks OK and that there hasn't been too much fading on the rest of the truck. 

i removed mine for the same reason used fishing line goo gone and plastic razor blades. give the truck a cleaner look as soon as i figure it out ill post a pic.
[/img]

Attachments

• my truck.jpg
    my truck.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 624
if it helps, my 07 silver birch had the clear coat coming off the passenger side molding. Went to my favorite dealer, they installed another set under the warranty, NO Charge!. Color matched and all. Just had to wait 2 days for it!

yea ... well I wanted the new LTZ moldings that are half painted and half chrome ... until we looked them up and GM wanted over 200 a door before painting! ... NOT!!!!!

I hated my from day one!!! removed them and put the denali moulings on in 2008!! then chevy updated them with the same look !! go figure!

I took on this project today, but man was it difficult.  The moldings and the lettering were really on there.  Getting them off wasn't too bad with the heat gun, but the adhesive took everything I could throw at it.  I ended up using Goo off with a really aggressive brush.  It swirled up the paint something fierce, so now I have an aggressive polishing in my future.  However I do like the look without any of the stick on's.

I know this is an old thread, but after some searching this is the most informative one I could find and didn't see anything more recent.  My door trim molding looks awful (as you can see in the pictures below) and I think the truck would look better without them, rather than having them repainted or replaced. 

Now that my truck is over eight years old, will it be more difficult to do this?  Do you all agree that fishing line is the best method to remove them, following with 3M adhesive remover?  I have a microfiber cloth that I was thinking of using to use with the adhesive remover.  It seems like it wouldn't scratch the paint.  Would that work?  I'm thinking of doing the same with the black trim around the wheel fenders and sides of the door edges.  Is that okay? 

Additionally, the pin stripe is starting to come off, especially on the passenger side.  I noticed it was coming off from pressure washing at the automatic car wash, but doing it manually did not get it all off.  How do I remove it completely, and safely?  I tried with my finger nail a little and it was difficult.  Only small bits would come off at a time.  It could take hours that way and it seems like it could also scratch the paint.  I was thinking once I get it all off I could use 3M adhesive remover to get the remaining residue off.

The weather is amazing where I am today and tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get all of this done this weekend.  But starting on my own makes me nervous that I'll ruin something.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Vr4KdeY.jpg

j7Ac3u0.jpg

1id87QU.jpg

Sounds like you have the technique down pat drdesignz....
You could use the 3M remover in combination with some heat to help get the decal stripe off as well as your fingernail in order for it to come off faster. The fishing line will help on the molding to get it off quicker, just apply heat and use the line like a saw and hold one end in each hand and "saw" back and forth under molding to help it come off. Microfiber cloth works good with the remover to get rid of residue. Then once clean apply a generous amount of wax to work area.

Back