• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Looking For Practical Mileage Increase Mods

RedAV

OK, I am looking for practical modifications to increase the gas mileage of my 2002 1500 Avalanche.

I am getting about 14-15 miles/gal but would like to increase it for commuting.

Do the chip reprogrammers only increase horsepower and speed? Can they increase mileage also even if I have to give up some

Any ideas appreciated.

One of the ideas being considered is an automatic overdrive like this http://www.gearvendors.com/

I have gotten a little increase by increasing the pressure in the tires.

14 - 15 mpg? I got more than that when mine was new. sence it has broken in I get 18-20.

Aaah! but Butch, he didn't say what model his RedAv is. My Z71 gets 13 city 17 highway, I hear the 2500s are worse and you guys with the 2wd versions get the good mileage. ;D

The biggest impact is the type of driving you do. In town, 13s, town/highway 15-16, interstate 20, at least with my 2002 Z-71. My worst tank 13.1, best 15.8, the trip computer shows up to 22 at 75 MPH on the interstate, but I rarely get on the interstate.

Here is my two cents,

1) Switch to Mobil One or some other non dino oil

2) K&N drop in filter

3) switch to Taylor, MSD or some other plug wires.

Have done all three and many others less cost effective! >:D

Bruno said:
Aaah! but Butch, he didn't say what model his RedAv is. ?My Z71 gets 13 city 17 highway, I hear the 2500s are worse and you guys with the 2wd versions get the good mileage. ;D

Right you are. I have Z71 just like yours. (Even Victory Red.)

OK, I have a K&N purchased almost new from a members. Although I am a member of the BMW motorcycle group who tend to be very anal retentive.

They tried the stock air cleaner for mileage and on the dyno as a baseline. Then, switched it to the K&N and reran the dyno and milegage tests.

No change in HP or mileage. The ROI comes from being able to wash and reuse the filter. Those K bike air filters from BMW are EXPENSIVE.

Thinking about using the synthetic. It would have to be on deep discount being it is about 3-4 times more expensive.

I think it would be good for the gears and have been wanting to do that. A one time upfront cost and the service intervals are long. Good ROI.

Why the plug wire change? Will it make that much of a difference? They are expensive.

RedAV said:
Although I am a member of the BMW motorcycle group who tend to be very anal retentive.
[...]
Why the plug wire change? Will it make that much of a difference? They are expensive.
Nice to see another anal-retentive BMW moto rider ;)

There is a good thread here concerning plug wires. I am considering this mod right now. FYI my stock Z71 gets about 14 around town and about 19 all highway. The biggest mod for me was to keep my foot from stomping the loud pedal too hard! :)

My two cents.

Mod for looks, sound, and feel. The additional fun you have with your AV can take away the pain you feel while filling up. If you want improved mileage, park the AV and buy a Jetta. No one can expect a 6,000 pound vehicle with a fairly powerful V8 to do much better on gas than it does at stock. Aside from laying off the pedal, coasting downhill, or not driving it at all, you just need to live with what you have.

RedAV said:
...Thinking about using the synthetic. It would have to be on deep discount being it is about 3-4 times more expensive.

I think it would be good for the gears and have been wanting to do that. A one time upfront cost and the service intervals are long. Good ROI...

I don't think there would be any ROI, unless you are talking about [theoretical?] engine life. I don't think the miniscule gas savings would ever surpass the "3-4 times more expensive" oil cost. I'm not saying I disagree with using synthetic, I'm just saying I don't think it will ever be cheaper, even if you can link a major repair being required b/c of using dino oil (which I doubt anyone will be able to ever prove).

My [amateur] opinion.

It's been about a week and a tankfull of gas since I installed my Taylor Thundervolt plug wires.
It continues to b more responsive off idle, and that's still very pleasant, soon it will be just what I expect.
I restarted both the average fuel economy (weighted average) and one of the trip odometers (straight average by miles).
Previously, with a lot of 300 mile freeway trips mixed in with my 'weekly mix', I was showing 15.8 on both mileage calculations.
The past week (with no long freeway trips) I am now showing 15.4 (weighted) and 15.3 (straight).
Since I get about 18 - 20 on long freeway trips (depending on how fast I drive), I'm currently concluding that mileage may have improved a little, but it's not much.
I'll continue to evaluate (I've got a couple of 1000 mile runs coming up soon.)

How many miles on your AV.
My first 2 tanks came in at 16mpg on highway.
After the 3000 mile mark i am now getting between 18.8 to 19.2...... Ugh ok, average it out to 19 mpg. That is strictly highway driving since that is part of my job.
After adding all the items listed in my signature, The most notable gain was the addition of the air aid intake.
The air aid keeps the stock tube from the filter to the throttle body. I am running the TBS also, but did not notice any fuel mileage improvement.
The mobile one addition at the time only showed maybe a 2/10ths gain.
The exhaust (flowmaster 70 series) no gain.
The hypertech III no gain.
The 20" tires and wheels, no gain. >:D
I don't know if the FIPK 2 shows any gain or not, but like mentioned above I have noticed a slight improvement with the air aid. Have been pushing the 500 mile mark between fillups and a little over more often now.
tail wind also helps.
Zeeya

I noticed the largest increase in mpg after changing to Mobile 1, yes its expensive (not when compared to the Av) but felt my beast was worth the extra cost. ;)

The wires are about the best bang for buck mod I've tried, I went with the MSDs and noticed the difference right away. Much better low end response and no lag on acceleration. The only downside to the MSDs is the color -- bright red. Of course it does sort of have a scarlet and gray thing going which isn't all bad! (Yes I'm a proud Buckeye alum!) >:D

joediver said:
I noticed the largest increase in mpg after changing to Mobile 1, yes its expensive (not when compared to the Av) but felt my beast was worth the extra cost. ?;)

The wires are about the best bang for buck mod I've tried, I went with the MSDs and noticed the difference right away. ?Much better low end response and no lag on acceleration. ?The only downside to the MSDs is the color -- bright red. ?Of course it does sort of have a scarlet and gray thing going which isn't all bad! (Yes I'm a proud Buckeye alum!) ?>:D

I was almost about to get Thundervolts and then you tell me MSDs are RED. they'd probably go good with my Red engine cover. Now I'm rethinking. Looks versus a slightly better wire?

After trying a few of the mods mentioned on this site, and having a very disappointing result with the FIPK, I come to the conclusion the "General" made the motor to work the best as it comes stock. Making modifications suggested here only lines the pockets of the manufacturers. Any gains are not worth the investment, and are over exaggerated. Just leave you motor stock, and save the money for something worthwhile. Driving 47 years and in the auto business for 40 of them. Experience tells me there is not much bang for lots of bucks. Just lots of "bull"

tomsr said:
After trying a few of the mods mentioned on this site, and having a very disappointing result with the FIPK, I come to the conclusion the "General" made the motor to work the best as it comes stock. Making modifications suggested here only lines the pockets of the manufacturers. Any gains are not worth the investment, and are over exaggerated. Just leave you motor stock, and save the money for something worthwhile. Driving 47 years and in the auto business for 40 of them.

Well, if you are "anti-mod" you came to the wrong place. ;D

Well, like exterior mods, high performance mods and just "eye candy" mods some groups just can't leave it alone.

If the General made the engine so right then why do they sell all of those cool high performance parts available at the dealership?

Some quest for increased horsepower. I on the other hand seek increased mileage with a ROI in a reasonable timeframe. How are the two different.

I don't think GM made it to get the best mileage they can. They made it to meet various demands from a bunch of different groups. While I am OK with it I want to figure out how much of a mileage increase I can get with a reasonable cost.

For example, they probably decreased the mileage to increase the HP for boat towing, heavy 4 wheel driving off road, etc. I will probably do none of those. I will probably use the 4wd for some light hay field duty or for inclement weather. The bed will be used to carry the motorcyle.

Yes MacMan I know that a 6k lb AV running a V8 isn't going to get as good gas mileage. But that is not the point either.

I bought the AV knowing what the mileage was but wanted the unique characteristics of the vehicle. (Fold down seats for the dog, midgate for the motorcycle, panels because I have always used a camper top, my last truck was 13 years old and it was the "one only" type of newspaper ad come on and I was able to pry it out of their hands ending up the same price as a Silverado. >:D)

I hold vehicles a long time so some mods that would make sense because of length of ROI do OK for me. (Like the GearVendor's product.)

Just doing and planning mods like everyone else just going in a direction few do.

RedAV said:
OK, I am looking for practical modifications to increase the gas mileage of my 2002 1500 Avalanche.

I am getting about 14-15 miles/gal but would like to increase it for commuting.

Do the chip reprogrammers only increase horsepower and speed? Can they increase mileage also even if I have to give up some

Any ideas appreciated.

One of the ideas being considered is an automatic overdrive like this http://www.gearvendors.com/

I have gotten a little increase by increasing the pressure in the tires.

Sorry to say this but the ONLY "practical" gas saving mod simply requires you to get rid of the lead foot and go the speed limit.

RedAV,

I bought the AV for the very reasons you did. I've also spent significant bucks on performance mods (with the prayer that they will improve mileage). For the most part, I've only seen improved mileage on highway driving. That came after installing Direct Hits. Trouble is, with that mod I get such great acceleration that I negate the gains I get on the highway as sson as I drive in the city. So, the 22 mpg I get moving my 2002 Z71 1500 down the freeway at a flat cruise control 70 mph for 500 miles before refilling is as good as it gets.

I really don't think there are any practicle mods to improve overall mileage that will generate an impressive ROI. With an internal combustion engine, 6000 lbs, 285 HP, what you got is what you get. The laws of physics make that so. You ask why the dealerships sell "high performance parts". Because they recognize the market place has a certain percentage of fools who will buy them. Why turn their backs on an easy buck?

Bottom line is: Mod for flash and flare, but when it comes to mileage it is best not to care! IMNSHO

tomsr said:
After trying a few of the mods mentioned on this site, and having a very disappointing result with the FIPK, I come to the conclusion the "General" made the motor to work the best as it comes stock. Making modifications suggested here only lines the pockets of the manufacturers. Any gains are not worth the investment, and are over exaggerated. Just leave you motor stock, and save the money for something worthwhile. Driving 47 years and in the auto business for 40 of them. Experience tells me there is not much bang for lots of bucks. Just lots of "bull"
With all that experience, you ought to know that "the General" like ANY design engineer, produces a solution that is a compromise. I AM confident that they probably achieved the best compromise of production costs vs customer expectations of performance FOR THEIR EXPECTED CUSTOMERS.
I'm not exactly their expected profile, though I'm close. Lots of the people on this site are quite a long ways from their expected profile.
It then makes perfectly good sense for us to spend our money moving OUR engines to a different compromise. Mine happens to be that I'm willing to spend another $80 to get rid of the slight dead spot off idle. Most of GM's customers probably don't care about that, but to say that I shouldn't because they don't is not an argument that will convince me you're right.
Maybe you're just tired? :rolleyes:
Maybe you're getting too old? :eek: ;)

It's very hard not to love the AV just as the general made it!
It's impossible not to love the AV with a couple of improvements that just delight me!

Gains in fun/performance yes. Significant mileage improvements - not happening! Unless maybe by cutting a couple thousand pounds from the weight: or some other radical MOD that would make the AV not an AV anymore.

!!!TSK!!!TSK!!! Why can't we all be friends
Like mentioned above regarding mileage and as I also stated in my post. There are not any mods out there that are going to give you 25mpg.
I am getting an honest 19mpg out of the 6000 pound beast. Driving the speed limit tends to lower my mileage slightly.
Each vehicle has a sweet spot and mine is at 2000 rpms or 75 mph. That is where i get my best mileage. No I have not driven for 40 years and will not claim as some to know all, but if i get ready to spend that 5000.00 dollars on a supercharger installed a ready to roar I will.
Performance mods are for us guys who like a little more umph!!!!!!!!!!! or just like the sound of the modified exhaust system. If we have the money to spend on them it is our own right.........: I think: Don't let my wife find out.....
As posted before, I hope no one is spending money on the inline magnetic clamp or the tornado :eek:which claims to boost mileage..............
Just trying to cheer everyone up, lighten up everyone.
It is just a toy and if you cannot play with it is no fun.
Zeeya

Wow! Everyone went off on a tangent. The question was "I am looking for practical modifications to increase gas mileage" I was only looking to save the club members some $$$. Driving habits are probably the most important thing that affects gas mileage on a stock motor. I am not anti-mod by no means, and no I am not old and tired,just practical. If you want to throw your money away on mods without exploring options-be my guest. I just thought my opinion would save someone a disappointing investment. Little knowledge makes for poor decisions and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I just got 19 mpg for the first time. I must have taken it easy that week ; ) I measure it the old fashioned way, at the same pump every fill up. This was after MSD wires. Tuning and 93 octane hurt my milage. But I remember everytime I tuned my vehicles for performace (advancing the timing via distributor) and used higher octane this hurt my milage... and it should unless your repairing a problem vs tuning an engine. Synthetic will help. Lets say 5000 miles between oil changes. This is $6 of regular oil or $25 for synthetic. Lets asume .5 mpg increase. (5000/17.5 * $1.50) - (5000/18 *$1.50). This is about $13 in gas so you'd have a cost of $12 additional in oil with synthectic. However if you got 1mpg improvement you'd save a dollar. A lot of varables with the biggest one the way you drive.

Macman had it right.

Lex Luthor
Just an opinion

Some mods will increase your gas milage, and some are cheap. Bumping your tire pressure up a few psi seems to help, switching to different tires might also help (either wait until you already need new ones, or sell your old ones and the cost is small). A bug deflector may hurt your milage. Remove the roof rack, keep the bed covers on, drive with the windows rolled up and the AC on, drive in the sweet spot, install the GM trip computer to monitor your instantanious MPG.....what else?

GM Trip Computer Thread

tomsr said:
Wow! Everyone went off on a tangent. The question was "I am looking for practical modifications to increase gas mileage" I was only looking to save the club members some $$$. Driving habits are probably the most important thing that affects gas mileage on a stock motor. I am not anti-mod by no means, and no I am not old and tired,just practical. If you want to throw your money away on mods without exploring options-be my guest. I just thought my opinion would save someone a disappointing investment. Little knowledge makes for poor decisions and everyone is entitled to their opinion.
tomsr,
My suggestion that you were a) tired, or b) old was made in a teasing spirit. I apologize that it didn't appear that way. :-[
I once made the 'mistake' of telling my kids that the proper response to "That music's too loud!" is "No, You're too old!". They've never stopped using the line or expanding it's applications :rolleyes: usually to me. :D
Now me, I AM old and tired (56 and it's a whole 3 weeks til vacation!) :eek:

I agree that many mods might be better undone, I was trying to point out that many are effective in suiting the owner better. There are a large number on this board who have actually lost some power and torque overall, to get a much more satisfying exhaust sound. That isn't wrong or right, it's just a different choice.
I wasn't intending to criticize you. I LOVE YOU, MAN :cry:
You can drive my AV anytime :love:

Back