• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Going to PR the first week of April!!

ductman

Alright, what are the do's and don'ts of PR.  My wife just booked a 4day/3night trip down there to Caribe Hilton San Juan the Easter week for some R & R.  The hotel looks cool on its own, but I was just wondering a few things...  What is the best way to get to and from the aiport to the Hotel...Should I rent a car, or just take a taxi?  Is there any places I should check out that are safe to explore.  What are the good restraunts/bars?  What should I watch out for?
Thanks for any info.

I was there 2 years ago Drivers there are the worst in the world,beep horn twice and go no matter what the signs or stop light says. Bus ride for about .50 cents clear across island,but slow and will take all day to get there.. I thought rental car was best. Ask cab fares before intering into an agreement. Ask at the taxi stand first or a 15.00 dollar fare could cost you 50.00 All the signs are in spanish.

If you ask me the bars on the windows are not for the hurricanes like they tell you.

Dont walk on beach at night(signs are posted in the hotel for a reason).

Visit the rain forest beautiful for a car ride and walking at many places.

Cock fighting is legal and a big area for it is right by the airport.

If you have time some of the best fishing in the world(sail and marlin)

Good place to visit Have Fun

My wife, daughter & I are going there 10 - 17 Mar. My grandma is Puerto Rican, so I am 1/4, but no believes me... lol

I have never been there, so I am looking forward to meeting a bunch of my family members I've never met before.

Glad you started the thread, I'll be interested to hear the responses also!

We are renting a car and staying at my Aunt's house. I have driven all over the world, so I am used to crazy drivers.

IB Mike said:
My wife, daughter & I are going there 10 - 17 Mar. My grandma is Puerto Rican, so I am 1/4, but no believes me... lol

I have never been there, so I am looking forward to meeting a bunch of my family members I've never met before.

We are renting a car and staying at my Aunt's house. I have driven all over the world, so I am used to crazy drivers.
I still don't  :laugh:

IB Mike said:

Let me know how it was when you get back.

Had a FANTASTIC week!

THings to watch out for, drivers are nuts. Yeild signs don't mean anything, and stop signs mean pretend to yield. Red lights are optional... and making left turns from the right of the left turn lane is a popular past time!

Most younger people speak english, and in the more touristy areas, writing is in both english/spanish. Once you get out of those areas, everything is in spanish.

THings to do:
- Get out to the rain forest in El Yunke! SOme great trails and sights to see!
- Get on a catamaran trip out of Fajardo! WIll run you around $72 for a 1030 - 1530 trip, FREE "leaded" or unleaded pina coladas, fruit punch & rum drinks! Makes one stop at an island to check out a beach, then lunch, then a stop on a reef for a couple hours snorkeling. Definitely a cool adventure! We went on the East Wind, and the crew was very nice and made it a fun trip, I would definitely recommend them!
-Old San Juan is OK, lots of shopping, a few historical sights. Not sure what you are in to, but I'd prefer to do the other stuff above.

I don't do bars and we didn't go out to eat any, so I can't help you there. I stayed with family, so I didn't hang out in the touristy areas. We spent most of the week at their beach house in Luquillo. SOme great body surfing waves! Weather was awesome, lows in the mid 70s highs in the mid 80s.

Crime can be a problem, don't leave anything in your vehicle, and beware of shifty folk. The cops do a decent job of keeping them out of the touristy areas, because of how important the tourist trade is. Also, keep your baggage tags when you check your luggage, they WILL check them before you depart the airport!

I think we are going to make this a spring break routine! While PR is a bit "run down", the people were very cool and the scenery is fantastic. It was very nice to meet all the family I haven't met before. No one believes I am 1/4 Puerto Rican... something to do with the fact that I am 6'3", have brown/red hair, light complection, & freckles... lol

Here is my wife & daughter near the top of the 2nd highest peak in the rain forest... it was a 5 hour hike up & back.

Attachments

• DSCN2669 small.JPG
    DSCN2669 small.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 25
Back