• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Synthetic Transmission Fluid Questions

4x4Avalanche

Alright today I was going to do a transmission flush on my Av the guys at Parts Plus don't recommend synthetic transmission fluid for some reason. Anyone know why? I was wondering because I was planing to have my tranny flush, and was wondering if I should stay with the oem fluids or not?

I put  synthetic trans. fluid in my '90 Z71 at about 30,000 miles in 1994.  Drove it until Jan. 31 2007 with 123,000 miles  and never had any problems.    The trans. was a 700R4.  Also put it in my '87 GN with a 200R4 trans. at the same time and I have no problems with it either.  The guys at the transmission shop recommended it then and I believe the brand was Amsoil.
Haven't tried it in a more "modern" transmission however.

I just ordered a Yank Performance torque converter, (thrust 2600 :D) and their web site doesn't recommend synthetic fluid or shift kits.  ???
I haven't received it yet, but when I do, I'm gonna run it with out a shift kit first, to see if their torque converters are all that are needed (w/ billet servos) to increase transmission performance.

I'll keep you posted...

Bad Dad

I've been running Royal Purple ATF since 57K when my tranny was upgraded, now I'm at 94.5K. No problems at all.
Also run Royal Purple in the rear end.

-James.

i run amsoil in the trans and diff., towing 9000 lbs in 80 degree temps,trans doesn't run over 160 degrees best investment for your truck IMHO

I think that there is still a lot of apprehension out there about synthetics. When I bought my Mustang back in 1991, I was told by the selling dealer, that if I changed the oil to synthetic, that I would void the warranty of the vehicle.

Personally, I've used synthetics since 1991 and currently have Amsoil synthetics in my 2500. That includes transmission. Which incidentlly runs 10 degrees cooler since then.
Durwin

4x4Avalanche said:
Alright today I was going to do a transmission flush on my Av the guys at Parts Plus don't recommend synthetic transmission fluid for some reason. Anyone know why? I was wondering because I was planing to have my tranny flush, and was wondering if I should stay with the oem fluids or not?

I put Mobil 1 ATF in this weekend with a filter change. Of course it claims it mixes with non sysnthetic. So far no problems. It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't work. Arent synthetics molecularly modified petroleum products anyway? If not what do they make the stuff out of?

My wife just bought a Sky Redline a few weeks ago and it comes with synthetic oil.

Corndog

Actually some synthetic oils are actually synthetic. It all depends on who makes it. Penzoil was able to change the definition of "synthetic" years ago, so now, if there is some of the dino oil mixed in, it can still be called synthetic. (No, not the "heat activated"  :D oil folks, that's Quaker State)

The molecules in most synthetic oils are more uniform than the "natural" oils. I've heard a more technicial explanation, but that's what it came down to.

Yes, I'm one of the folks who use Amsoil. Oh, and yes, the rumors about synthetics and the Nazis are true.
Durwin

james21 said:
I've been running Royal Purple ATF since 57K when my tranny was upgraded, now I'm at 94.5K. No problems at all.
Also run Royal Purple in the rear end.

-James.
I been using Royal Purple for motor oil but not for tranny fluid yet.

ok another tranny questions took my Av to the Transmission place to do a flush once the got the pan down and every thing the tech showed me the magnetic from the tranny pan it was all gunk up with debris he said this might cause my tranny to go out soon is this true?? And my tranny still shifts like it should nothing gone wrong is this guy BS me? According to the Av manual it said fluid change at 100,000 miles?

Guy is guessing..

All parts within a Tranny wear a bit as you drive.

fact of life with moving mechanical components.

So what you see may be normal or may not.. but for him to say you will have a problem soon is just a guess... on his part...

Like ygmn says, the parts wear. I have never pulled a pan on anything with a magnet and have not found it full of crud. Some may be as little as turning a white towel black but it will have crud on it. Its just typical nonsense from the mechanic to scare you into more frequent service or maybe to just show you how smart he is. hehehe. Unless the crud is bigger than say sand between your fingers, I would say normal  :D

I had mine drained and flushed at 100k.
The shop I went to said color and Smell was good.
Trans fluid stinks if it gets burnt.

Well now 25K later It is in the Tranny Shop But that is 20k after Super Charger.
I am going Royal Purple in the Tranny now all 15Quarts (+,-) its cheaper but the Gallon.

Hello people, I just joined the club. I have a 2003 Chevy AV 1500 4x4 z71 with high miles, now I?m going to be changing my tranny filter out. What kind of transmission fluid do I use and is it best to use full synthetic tranny fluid?

Back