• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Mud tire tread life/mileage????

Fowlhunter

I'm debating on what to go with, a mud tire or an all terrain tire???

I would like to know anyone running a mud tire and what kind of mileage you are getting (35 thousand, 40 thousand, etc)

:help:

Thanks

It depends on how you use the truck or what look you want.

For my driving, I prefer an aggressive all-terrain rather than a mud tire. They are quieter and last longer than the majority of mud tires. I'll probably go with the BFG's when I replace the stock ATS's. That will be a while since I run my 20's for 8 months of the year.

I had a set of National Tire and Battery private label all terrains (if I remember right, they were called Terra Trac but they don't make them any more) on my 94 Sonoma for 50K miles and was happy with them.

I just got rid of a set of 35 in mud grappler's. I had about 25000 miles on them and they were gone. I love the look and function of a mud tire but for the 95 + % of street driving I do it wasn't worth it anymore. I just bought a set of 37 in Nitto Terra grappler's. a lot of members are running them and have had very good mileage results from them. 45K -75K miles. The AV is a very heave truck and the Mud Tire just was not lasting enough for me. Plus dropping a grand every year for tires was going to get me divorced. So I had to stop that.

Just my 2 cents

Fowlhunter said:
Thanks guys.

I appreciate your input.

I like the BFG All Terrain/KO.  Thinking about LT285/70/17.

You will get pros and cons on this tire but I don't like it. I had 3 sets on my dodge separate in one year. They are also expensive. I just don't think they are worth the price for what you get. I would go with the Terra grappler or pro comp extreme all terrain.40000 K warrenty

Sorry here in Phoenix it does not snow that much. I will report on the snow in December. I will be in Chicago for Christmas. As for mud I got a chance to test it out yesterday. It was so good I thought I had a mud tire on.

-ED

I've got about 8K on my Procomp Xterrains (Had them on for about a year and a half) and they seem like they still have 85-90% tread left. They are the best set of tires that I've had on my AV ever since I got it lifted. They are awesome offroad and on road. Although if you aren't going to be doing much offroading, it isn't a good tire then. My AV is strictly offroad now, witht the occassional trip to an AV meet. Another good set of tires are the Dueller Revo ATs, I've got a set on my other truck, and actually took them offroad right after I had them put on, went through a big mud pit (about 16"s deep) and had no problems. They lasted 17K already, and they are said to last at least 50K. They also did really well in the 3 feet of snow that we got this past winter, no problem in 4HI.

-James.

the xterrains are only good if you are an extreme offroader, i mostly do highway with the occasional trip-off-pavement and the xterrains served me well (except for road noise and a somewhat stiffer ride). But i dont know if someone had noriced this with the xterrains, but they work very good going forward, but they're really bad in reverse, i got myself stuck twice while reversing, they tend to dig themselves in when reversing

gtellez67 said:
Toyo Open Country M/T last forever  quiet great off-road and on highway

15-26 K is forever??? Ok well thats a 35. Its a good mud tire maybe the best but I would not say it lasts forever. Very soft rubber and very loud highway. I have 4 friends who run this tire from a 35-37 inch. They all are on their 2nd-3rd set because it is a good tire but not a single one was able to get over 22000 miles on the tire. and They are loud well maybe not as loud as a jet engine but you see what I mean. I think you would get better mileage from a smaller tire But I don't know. And they are the most pricey MT out there.

NorthFace35 said:
the xterrains are only good if you are an extreme offroader, i mostly do highway with the occasional trip-off-pavement and the xterrains served me well (except for road noise and a somewhat stiffer ride). But i dont know if someone had noriced this with the xterrains, but they work very good going forward, but they're really bad in reverse, i got myself stuck twice while reversing, they tend to dig themselves in when reversing

Don't offroad backwards!!! :kidding:

They do seem to be made to work best going forward...

On my 2nd set of Interco STS A/T's Trxus
First set got 55K+ on them.( 5 tire rotation) Have bout 12K on 2nd set. (using 4 tier rotation for now)

yea I get some humm after some ware on them. good in snow sand Rock, & ok for mud

It doesn't matter what the tire size is compared to duration.  It's the tire compound, pressure, weight, road, etc..

MT's are loud on the road.  Some louder than others, but in general, they're noisy on the road.  They're designed for offroad use, and are not that great on the road in the line of traction, especially wet/icy roads.

AT's attempt to blend offroad ability with on-road manners as well.  They're not great off-road, but will suit most considering most miles are always on the road.  They're considerably quieter on the road and offer better traction in bad road conditions.

I have Nitto Terra Grapplers, TSL Boggers, and BFG A/T KO on our vehicles.  The Boggers suck on the road, and will get chewed up prematurely because that's not what they're designed for.  The BFG's are loud, but have good tread wear.  The Grapplers are the best tire I have for the AV, and have over 40,000 on them now, with maybe 10-15K left.

It's all a matter of what you need.  The MT's look cool, but I don't need the noise.  I'm too old for that cr@*.  The Grapplers fill my needs, as well as the fenders. >:D

johnv656 said:
My mind is made up, Terra grapplers it is in a 35 incher

I hope you have a 6" lift or sawzall.  Either way, great choice in tires.

To answer your question about snow, they worked really well for me when I was in the snow in NM and CO.  As for mud, they're so/so.  The lugs are not as deep as a MT and don't clear as easily.

eeaton5 said:
15-26 K is forever??? Ok well thats a 35. Its a good mud tire maybe the best but I would not say it lasts forever. Very soft rubber and very loud highway. I have 4 friends who run this tire from a 35-37 inch. They all are on their 2nd-3rd set because it is a good tire but not a single one was able to get over 22000 miles on the tire. and They are loud well maybe not as loud as a jet engine but you see what I mean. I think you would get better mileage from a smaller tire But I don't know. And they are the most pricey MT out there.
I only have 10k On my set of 35's two other guys have them at work one has 55k on his still has about 20% life left the other one has 35k on his they are quieter than Nitto Mud Grapplers

I run the Nitto Terra Grappler in the winter(285-70-17).
O.K by me. I just got a truck load of those Nitto's this week also.
For the summer,I just got my 20" chrome KMC Rockstar wheels this week.I decided to go again with an All-Terrain,this time Pro-Comp All terrain(we had some good feedback with them also for year round driving.I'm going for 275-60-20. I have a 3" lift on mine so I think it will look O.K.
I'll post some pics on my website when they are installed.I also I recently painted the flares and installed a Denali tailgate hangle 2.

Back