• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Storage Pockets on side of bed

TimLT2

Chevrolet's brochure states that the side bed storage bins can used as a type of "cooler" for ice and sodas.? My questions is has anyone tried this?? When the ice melts does it drain?  We are leaving to go on vacation next week and if this indeed works I am considering trying this.
:help:

You might try searching for this, there are tons of discussions already in place.

Just search for "cooler"

But in lieu of searching, I'll just be nice and say yes it's been done, the water drains out of the drain hole in the bottom of the box.  It's not really insulated but yes it does work.

DougD said:
You might try searching for this, there are tons of discussions already in place.

Just search for "cooler"

You mean like THIS? ?Too bad "Tranny Cooler" out numbers the 'cooler' threads! ?:rolleyes:

Yeah, I found alot of tranny cooler info.  I did find the answer though.  Thanks for everyones input and help. (y)

Used mine for tailgating at a concert a couple of weeks ago... we had about two 30 packs and ice in there, and they were still cold after the show when we got home!  :B:

TimLT2 said:
Chevrolet's brochure states that the side bed storage bins can used as a type of "cooler" for ice and sodas.? My questions is has anyone tried this?? When the ice melts does it drain?? We are leaving to go on vacation next week and if this indeed works I am considering trying this.
:help:

YEP! Used it as a cooler several times.  Doesn't keep ice as long as a "cooler" does, but is nice when the Av is packed full of other stuff and yes it drains to the bed drain and then to the ground, so you will see a puddle under the Av when parked.

Have fun  :wave:

(y)  Yup used mine this past 4th for watching the fireworks.  Beer for the adults and juice sips for the kids  Like Sirshopolot said Doesn't last as long as a "cooler, but hey can't have everything.  I LOVE MY AVALANCHE :cheers:

I can't wait to try this.  We leave for Ponte Vedra Beach, FL Thusrday morning.  I'm gonna pack some ice and some Mountain Dews and head to the beach. :B:

TimLT2 said:
I can't wait to try this.? We leave for Ponte Vedra Beach, FL Thusrday morning.? I'm gonna pack some ice and some Mountain Dews and head to the beach. :B:

Lots of members in the Jacksonville area, you should start a thread of your trip.  You could probably catch the local lunch GTG while your there.

yes, i have tried it in my '05 - ice doesn't last long especially in the heat b/c it all drains out - it is almost better if you just leave the ice in the bag!  :p

EricB said:
Anybody tried it with dry ice?
You would have to break the dry ice up into smaller pieces to get it in there.  And  I would be concerned reaching in there to get a cold one, plus the drinks might get frozen.

maverick1974 said:
You would have to break the dry ice up into smaller pieces to get it in there.? And? I would be concerned reaching in there to get a cold one, plus the drinks might get frozen.

The dry ice I've bought in the past would fit in there easily.  You could break it up, not difficult, use a hammer just keep the ice wrapped in paper, and put it in the bottom, and according to the dry ice manufacturers, it would only cool the stuff, not freeze it.  They claim if you put it on top it would freeze whatever is under it, I guess it's that law where cool air falls and hot air rises.  Maybe even put a layer of paper between the dry ice and drinks.  Just really wondering if there would be any problems with the plastic liner or the paint with that extreme in temperature.

We've used the storage boxes as coolers on occasion.... VERY HANDY... uses more ice , but you don't have to use up bed storage for an ice chest.  :D

The bedside storage is liken to a pocket on a shirt... (y)
The passenger side carries the tools, and the drivers side carries the drinks/whatever...
All the softdrinks go in when we're going on winter hunting trips and on the way back after the drinks are gone, it is filled with bagged birds/rabbit/hare, & covered with ice...I've never used it in the hot summer so don't know how long ice will last, but it's one option of the Avy I really like... (y)

I've used my too, but I put the ice in several of those black plastic bags to help keep the ice cool and to keep maintainence down on the side walls of the cooler.  Houston water is not always the most cleanest water.  Sometimes it can leave the little white ring.  I didn't want my AV to have that white ring, so I always use platsic bags to line the walls.  When the ice is melted, I can either pull the bags out or poke holes in the bottom so water can drip out the bottom only and not touch the sides.

Hope this helps.  Enjoy the vacation whatever you do.

Blanche02

:laugh: :laugh: Yea but I bet you could not drink faster then the Las Vegas heat can melt lol. Even using your arms and legs and a friends lol.

I would recommend a soft side cooler bag or a grocery store  "silver alum" type bag at least, loaded with ice to provide some insulation.

Back