• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

EVERYTHING Extend camping towing Mirror

Rescue_1

Charter Member
Looking to find out what everybody is using for mirror extensions on their AV. Just traded our fifth-wheel camper for travel trailer, so will be using the AV to tow it. Too bad I couldn't tow the fifth wheel with the AV... :eek:

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these camper companies come out with some sort of 5th wheel setup for all the short bed trucks that are coming out on the market.

I could be mistaken, but I believe I saw a GM part # for towing mirrors for the AV. I will go see if I can find that again.

Sorry, I can't make the trip. School starts on the 26th.

I know accessories are hard to find for the avalanche, so I thought I'd pass this along.

:0:I use my Avalanche 2500 for pulling my travel trailer and I needed bigger mirrors. Chevy has the extendable mirrors but they aren't electric or heated. After months of searching I found this site. http://store.yahoo.com/trucktoys4less/chevygmc1.html
The mirrors are a bit pricey and not listed for the avalanche, butI bought the ones for the Suburban and they fit perfect. They are huge mirrors and do extend out plus the electric adjust and the defrost works. Real easy to install.

Problem: The company was absolutely no help, could provide no tracking info and took 8 weeks to ship.

Norman McClinchey.

I ordered my Av with the camper style mirrors. They are great for towing. Only problem is they are manual. I have to pull them out when I start towing and the mirror adjustment is manual. I know that the 03 Av will have the camper style mirrors with the power assist.
I like my camper style mirrors on the Av. Just wish they had power adjust.

:0: :0:

I am going threw the same delema right now, Last week I got hold of a standard black GM mirror same one as the AVs did not have any options on it. I took it all apart cut and added pieces and made it extend. I tryed it out on the last camping trip but found it did not extend enough for my likeing. I will post a couple pics for the heck of it. I am now going to order the factory GM towing mirrors. I will just use them when towing the mirrors are very easy to switch

As a stopgap measure, I purchased some "universal towing mirrors" that attach to the AVs mirrors with straps and a ratchet mechanism with adjustable rubber tipped "standoffs" to align them. While they are not expensive ($50-60) they are at best for occasional use. They are difficult to adjust and don't stay aligned due to the shape of the chevy mirror body. Better than nothing though and 1/10 the price of the real mcCoy. The Bestop or Power Vision mirrors seem like the best available option as they come in power and heated versions ($400-500) but I'll have to give up the auto-dimming and they of course do'nt look as good normally. How easy is the exchange of the stock mirrors? If it's not too bad I could go for the GM manuals.

With my F150 I had a set of slip on mirrors, I don't care to invest a ton of $$$ on extendable ones for the Av. But in my searching I'm not finding ones that fit the Av. Has anyone found any that slide over the mirrors? If not, do our mirrors on the Av match those of the Escalade, Suburban or Tahoe?

Well answered my own question. Mirrors for the Av should be the same as the 99 and later trucks and the later model Burbs as well. Dealer made a couple calls to confirm it. So now I can get the mirrors out need.

Does anyone use the R&D Mirror Extenders? How do they fit on the AV mirrors? I have a cheap pair from my last vehicle, but they just don't like the shape of the AV mirrors, and keep falling off.

Sorry I don't know about the R&D Mirror extenders but I found a pair from CIPA.

These are from Stylinconcepts $49.95 for the pair.

Attachments

• 1020710807SlideOnTowingMirror_opt.jpg
    1020710807SlideOnTowingMirror_opt.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,816
I've used the CIPA Custom Towing Mirrors on my F150 and they worked great, price is right too. ?I just picked a pair for my Av. ?The box doesn't say anything about fitting the Av, but look for either 10800 (pair) or 10801 (driver side) and 10802 (passenger side).
mirrors1.jpg

You can spend $125 on a set of McKesh mirrors, which fit most any vehicle too, or spend $15 on a cheap set that will vibrate so bad you wonder what good they do (been there, done that). ?But for the money the CIPA's are good mirrors.

I bought a set just like PhantomFloater posted a pic of at my local AutoZone for $49 and had them on most of the summer last year. I pulled my camper down the interstate at 70mph with no problems.

Ok, thanks guys. I just purchased the CIPA's from stylinconcepts. They said they were for the AV on the web site. Thanks for the advice.

I have a 2002 - 2500 Avalanche. I was at the Portland Auto Show a couple of weeks ago and saw a 2003 - 2500 Av with the factory extendable camper mirrors.

I have a pair of slide-on trailer mirrors and they work well, but the factory unit would just make a better package.

I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone on this board have them and how do you like the mirrors.

2. Can the 2003 camper mirrors be retrofitted on my 2002 AV?

3. Do they break-away? (both forwards and backwards).

4. I really like the direction signal in the mirror. Can this be hooked up to my turning indicator unit?

5. Any idea of cost of the units and labor?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

Ok
I have the a 2002 - 2500 with the camper side mirrors. They are manual positioned. You pull them out or push them in when needed. They are manually adjusted, just like the old days.

The 2003 has the same mirrors as for style, except they are power extend and retract, also power movement, they also have the trun single indicator.

Does anyone on this board have them and how do you like the mirrors.
I have them and I like them. I have a 2002 2500 AV

Can the 2003 camper mirrors be retrofitted on my 2002 AV?
The answer is NO. Unless someone can figure out how to rewire it.

Do they break-away? (both forwards and backwards).
Backwards Only

I really like the direction signal in the mirror. ?Can this be hooked up to my turning indicator unit?
No the 2002 and 2003 have different wirning.

Thanks Bill.

Bummer, I sure would have liked to have had the new style fitted. The fact that they don't break-away forward would have eliminated the anyway. I hunt about nine months every year and the mirrors HAVE to break-away in both directions.

Thanks for your help. Steve

I have an02 1500. I recently bought ?a 26ft trailer, which is wider than my truck! I don't like clamp on mirrows, is there :: anyone making after market replacement towing mirrows. I called the 800# and was told that the 2003 2500 series would work, but my dealer says they won't.
? ? ? Any help on this would be really great!

I bought mine at Autozone for $34 they fit right over the factory mirrors and look good. I did a 900 mile trip with them last fall with no problems at all.

Hey RC,

The mirrors are perfect. And you are right, they do look exactly like the OEM extendable camper mirror.

In the FAQ, it states that they break-away in both directions. For us active-types, that is a very good thing.

Many thanks,

Steve

I have a 2003 with the power extend and have had a couple of times where only one mirror extends. Not sure why...
My thought is it's one more electric thing that can go wrong.
I would rather have the manual type. After all how many times and how lazy do you need to be to power extend/retract the mirrors. :cautious: Yes, I am active and I don't mind a trip around the truck once in a while.

Are there any after market companies making electric towing mirrows for the 02 1500 series. I pull a26ft travel trailer and need bigger mirrows, but don't want to giveup the ele ajustment and defrost, if I don,t have too.

I have an '03 with the pwr extend camping mirrors (stock) and I think they are going to be more trouble than they are worth.
I have had several times that only one mirror extends, so I have to open the window and nudge the stuck mirror to get it to go.
Not always the same mirror either. Now I find that nither mirror will extend without giving them a light pull/nudge to get them going. Once I do this they extend/retract fine for about a day.
If they sit they get stuck. :mad:
Ohh bye the way I just hit 3000 miles this week. Guess what the dealer is going to be working on...
I can see these are going to be a big pain to keep them working, I hope GM will have a fix or replacement if it gets too bad..
My thought, look for a good set of extended addon's that slip over your nice heated mirrors when you tow.

Anyone else having trouble or just me... :cry:

I Have a 2003 with the camper power Ext/Ret camping mirrors and can not keep the mirrors in working order they get stuck in the retract position either left or right sometimes both. Less than 3000 miles and I park in a garage If I don't exercise them daily they get stuck.

Back