• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How to: 2007/2008 Full Time Daytime Running Lights (FT DRL)

chavey

SM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
I did it!!! I did it!!! I did it!!! I did it!!! I did it!!! I did it!!! I did it!!!

Here's how I did it.?

First, some caveats.?
1) I'm an idiot.? I don't know what I'm doing.? This worked for me (maybe) but may not work for you.
2) I take absolutely no responsibility what so ever for anyone else being stupid enough to take what I say and try it on their own vehicle.?
3) If you follow my directions and burn yours to the ground, don't blame me - I've already told you I'm an idiot!
4) Don't bother suing, I don't have enough that you would want.

So I started looking the owners manual and saw the 2 DRL fuses (# 31 & 33).? I also saw the headlight relay was pretty close.? So I got out my (okay, I went and bought a new) multimeter.? I started testing all the points and figured out that the DRLs were receiving power thru the right side of #31.? I also figured out that the relay sent power to the upper left when the headlights were turned on.? I fiddled around with some temporary wiring and figured that I could get FT DRL by running a wire from the top left of the relay to the right side of the #31 DRL fuse.

So I went and got the biggest diodes I could find at Radio Shack: 50V @ 3Amp

(BTW, if anyone knows the right size diode to use, let me know.  I know that the smaller ones used for the All-4-OnHigh mod are too small - it burnt up real quick!  I just love seeing smoke coming up from the fuse box!)

Attachments

• 2008FTDRL 009 Small.jpg
    2008FTDRL 009 Small.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 3,028
Then I ran the diode from the upper left of the headlight relay to the right side of the #31 fuse. ?I had to extend the diode wire and make it smaller to fit into the fuse block holes. ?I just soldered some 22ga single strand wire to the end of the diode and shrink wrapped it. ?Notice that I used different color wrap on both sides of the diode and didn't actually wrap the diode itself. ?This way I could tell which side had the grey bar on it. ?Put the grey bar closest to the #31 DRL Fuse.  Then I just put back the relay and fuse. ?(Ignore the upper left red/black wire - that's the diode for the full time fog lights.)

Attachments

• 2008FTDRL 003 Small.jpg
    2008FTDRL 003 Small.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 3,147
  • 2008FTDRL 001 Small.jpg
    2008FTDRL 001 Small.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 3,126
Can't wait to see the lights. ?Nice to see you figured it out, I know its been bugging you. ?Glad the truck didn't burn up either (y)

And lo' and behold', FT DRL on a 2008!

First, regular,

Second FT DRL (notice that my fogs are also on for All-4-On-Low - or would this now be All-8-0n-Low?

(Jeez, give me a second to post will ya!? Your posting is keeping my pics from uploading with that stupid "Check your post - someone else had a better comment than you" warning!)

Attachments

• 2008FTDRL 006 Small.jpg
    2008FTDRL 006 Small.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2,989
  • 2008FTDRL 007 Small.jpg
    2008FTDRL 007 Small.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 2,985
And Finally, All-10-OnHigh!  (High, Low, Fog, DRL, Parking!)

Attachments

• 2008FTDRL 008 Small.jpg
    2008FTDRL 008 Small.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 2,966
Awesome, chAVey  (y) good write up and directions. I had a feeling you might figure this out. Gives me something else to do tomorrow! Again, nice job!

AVcop778 said:
And then....

[quote author=Heine12oz]
Can't wait to see the lights. ?Nice to see you figured it out, I know its been bugging you. ?Glad the truck didn't burn up either ?
[/quote]

[quote author=AVcop778 ]
Slow down...lol....go back and post the pics 
[/quote]

If you yahoos would wait a second, I could have got it done faster!  Every time I attempted to post the pics, your replies would give me that stupid warning and knock the pics off!

chAVey..I love you man.

I'm going to get to work on this right away. I already did the all 6 on high which took all of 2 minutes.

I'm proud to be a member of this board cause of high class guys like you dude. Thanks again!

Thank you!  That is SAWEEETTT!  Very exciting stuff... and yes Shels, we will bring diodes to STI for ya...

I just have 1 question. Would copper electrical wiring work well with these diodes & fuses. I used a copper electrical wiring that I got from the electrical cord for my digital camera battery charger (I had an extra one) for the all 6 on high mod & it seems to have been working fine. I used it along with the diode because the diode was too short to reach the fuses. I'm considering the same route for this mod tomorrow. Thanks!

JD

ok. . since I'm to lazy to go outside and check. . . (and it may be too dark)

. . . . . are you saying my '08 doesn't have stock daytime running lights?

or are you just trying to have more lites than stock turned on in the daytime for effect?

Ok gang, here's a little update, especially for the 07 year model. I completed this mod successfully just a few mins. ago, but it's slightly different for my truck. chAVey is running the wire/diode/wire from the left side of the HDLP LO/HID (Low beam head lamp) to fuse position #28, which worked for his truck. He was right about it working for HIM, and may not work for everyone else. I did it this way, and guess what....my HORN came on...VERY LOUDLY! Wrong fuse obviously. I checked the owners manual, and the fuse position is #30 for the DRLs for my truck, not #28. I think chAVey has an 08, so that may be one small difference in the 07-08 year model. So, for 07 owners specifically, double check in your owners manual and make sure you're running your wire/diode/wire from your HDLP LO/HID (#3114), to your daytime running lamps fuse, which for mine was #30. Here's a few pics showing my FTDRLs.

Attachments

• FTDRL1.JPG
    FTDRL1.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 2,904
  • FTDRL2.JPG
    FTDRL2.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 3,672
(y)

Attachments

• FTDRL3.JPG
    FTDRL3.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 2,982
  • FTDRL4.JPG
    FTDRL4.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 2,878
...and the last one...the "money shot"  (y)

Attachments

• FTDRL5.JPG
    FTDRL5.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 2,711
Phew. I'm in class right now & I'm going to do this mod as soon as I get home & back to my truck. I was thinking about this when I read chAVey's post AVcop because I had mentioned earlier that there were 2 fuses for the DRLs for 07s which were 30 & 31 I believe.

Shame on Chevy for trying to confuse us lol.

JD

It's caveman easy, guys and gals, but not as simple as going just from "this hole to that hole", you need to make sure you're running your wire/diode from the headlamp relay to the right fuse position for your DRLs.

There was a delivery truck outside when I was doing this, and when my horn came on, I turned the headlights back off real quick and they just stood there staring at me like..."Look at that fool..."  :laugh:

Back