• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

I Added A Sub To A 2003 Bose System. (Long)

Splatz

So,
I've added a subwoofer and amp to my 2003 Bose equipped AV. After pulling power from the "remote + side jumper cable" location thru the firewall, pulling "auto on" power from the drivers side dash fuse panel 4WD fuse (I have a Z66), tracing down and tapping the rear speaker leads, running all the wiring underneath the back drivers side seat, cutting-splicing, splicing-cutting, oh the joys of accessory amp installs!

Here are the results. YMMV.

Before I did any serious wiring, I first tapped the rear speaker leads (splicing into the existing speaker wires in the B pillar) by just plugging in another full range speaker. Okay, there's sound but it's really not as loud as the factory door speaker. I tested both sides with the same results. I had a clean speaker level signal, just not that much of it.

I went ahead and installed the rest of the system wiring and hooked everything up. In my older vehicles using the exact same components, the amp was only turned up to about 4. I now have it wide open and there's barely any volume out of the sub cabinet! Hmmm. Not happy. All the wiring is correct, nothing crossed or out of phase.

A trip to the local electronics store for a "speaker to line-level" converter helped (my amp can run either input), but I still have to run the amp wide open.

Is the Bose amp speaker out levels really that low? Are the factory Bose speakers really that efficient? Has it anything to do with the serial buss wiring GM uses on the 03 AV? I scratchith my graying head!

All in all, it works. I have added bass. I'm just not happy with running the amp wide open. One spike and it's launched voice coil time!

I'm running a single JLAudio 10" sub in a sealed box with a 200-watt RMS amp. Peak is 600 if memory serves... all new wiring. I could go to a 12" or dual 10" box but I used the same setup in a 94' Silverado, a 2000 Tahoe, and a 2001 SVT Lightning, with good results with having to crank the amp.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Does anybody have the schematics for the Bose system? I have written Bose, but they do not have it. Waiting to heard from GM still.

I have an 400 watt amp with a 10 incher (still need to build a box) I want to hook up. The amp has inputs for speakers (Hi/Low converter), but if I can tap into the existing sub line that would be great.

The one thing I need to know is if the power is amplified at the HU/spearate amp, or if the sub is self powered. Hopefully it is a self powered sub. It would make install a load easier.

I also want the schematics to see what I can do about installing aftermarket XM without using a FM modulator or new display.

RoRo

I looked under the center console. I believe there's an amp there toward the back with a bazillion wires running to it. I didn't take the whole console apart so I don't know if there's an actual sub there or not. I'll look into it when I get the time (next week).

Granted, the Bose system has pretty good bass for a stock system but the EQ sure flattens out when you start to crank it up past half way. :8:

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, I keep hearing this rumor of a sub in the Bose system (which I have as well), but have never been able to find it.

I suspect it's all a myth!

WE NEED PHOTOS!!

Soul

There is definately something back under there. The door speakers and tweeters could put out that much bass. The Bose handles the high and mid enough for me, but as stated it flattens out at high ends.

I want to lower the Bass EQ and leave that to a sub and amp under the rear seat. At higher volumes the Bose should do well without cracking up.

RoRo

This looks close enough to my install. It was posted by "the_dude" in this section earlier. I just used one amp and a different sub box.

I can post pictures but it will be next week before I can do so. Got me some vacation time for the next few days so I'll be away.

I mounted the amp under the drivers side back seat and I'm using a 10" Sub box leaning against the midgate. I rarely have more than one passenger so my back seats usually stay folded down for room for my dog.

So, it's added a lot of bottom and I can dial it out by lowering the bass rather than using the front and rear fader (Remember, it's tied into the rear speakers). It depends on what I'm listening too. CD's put out much more treble than the FM signals so I'll be upgrading the rear speakers with more high end! Too bad I can't use the Kenwood 4x6's I pulled out of my last truck. ?:(

Soul Surfer said:
Yeah, I keep hearing this rumor of a sub in the Bose system (which I have as well), but have never been able to find it.

I suspect it's all a myth!

WE NEED PHOTOS!!

Soul

No photo necessary... if you look under the front of the console under the dash you can't miss it.

SJP-=

I used to have a Nissan maxima with the Bose and had a Bazooka tube installed. The installer had a terrible time finding a good signal with the Bose. Now the Avalanche may be different but each speaker had its own Amp in the Nissan so you have to pull the signal from the correct side of the amp. Cant remember if it was input or output.

ok, so what if you tapped into the wires with a line converter before they hit the amp, you would totally bypass the bose, wouldnt you ???

I have tried to "enhance" bose PA systems before, and ended up messing up the whole thing. Bose has some wierd configurations, wierd ohm loads,....heck, they are wierd about alot of stuff. They sound GREAT though. I wouldn't recommend tampering with the Bose setup. Replacing it is another thing. That would be cool.

Just my humble opinion, but I know there are alot of supprises when dealing with Bose.

Wiki

I found a new surprise last night. :eek:

After being less than enthused about my added sub, I just happened to lean way forward toward the dash with my head above the steering wheel... Low and behold.. there's all my bass! I just love acoustics. :8: Now I'm experimenting with placement of my sub box to try to get those low frequency waves out of the windshield area and more into the seating area. BTW, I'm using a generic 10" sub box and my rear seats are usually folded down.

Can anyone tell me if I can just cut the wire to my factory sub? I have the 03 Bose system also, the sub it busted so I was just going to cut the wire to it because I?ve heard it?s not worth getting replace!

05avi1991 said:
Can anyone tell me if I can just cut the wire to my factory sub? I have the 03 Bose system also, the sub it busted so I was just going to cut the wire to it because I?ve heard it?s not worth getting replace!

The factory sub is a dual voice coil 6" subwoofer. No reason why you couldn't pull the signal from the subwoofer. Just be aware they are a dual voice coil so you have to make sure you have the right parings together.

Rodney

Back