• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Broken tailgate handle part

jayteez

Greetings folks.. Recently my tailgate handle broke.  There appears to be a small plastic clip just inside and behind the handle itself.  I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to open the tailgate until I can get this fixed.  Is there anyway I can possibly open with my finger or screwdriver?  04 WBH, BTW.

Same thing happened to me two days ago.   I also failed to find a way inside--other than crawling through the mid-gate.   You can immagine how much fun that was with all of the Christmas gifts.   How long did it take you to get it fixed?  Did you find a way into the bed of the truck until you got the tailgate fixed?

this just happened to me.  it seems the handle acts as a lever on the latch.  i can use a screwdriver to push down on the latch to open it.  i found the replacement part on gmpartsdirect.com about $70

I also just broke off my handle, but im still able to open my tailgate.  on the right hand side if u feel there is a small lever-like piece and i just pull hard enough on that and it pops open.  02 z71 cladded

Yelp, mine broken too. Bad design making out of plastic. Mine broke on the handle part so I drilled through the plastic and epoxied them back together. That was two weeks ago (still holding). Is there a metal after market handle out there?

avhunter said:
Yelp, mine broken too.  Bad design making out of plastic.  Mine broke on the handle part so I drilled through the plastic and epoxied them back together.  That was two weeks ago (still holding).  Is there a metal after market handle out there?
haven't run across one yet  :E:

Add me to the list of broken handles.  Nice 77 deg day and snap!  Bad design.  Went to the stealership for my oil change and asked how much it would be to fix the handle.  $300.  Bunch of hustlers,  he said the part alone was $125 and made a big deal of my trim piece that surrounds the handle being painted.  First I looked at him like he was an idiot then went to the parts counter.  Found out it's all one assy and costs $105.  I'm just going to find one used and it looks like it might take me a half hour to do myself after reading some other posts on here.  Hustlers :beating:

Good grief! Mine just broke yesterday, the right hand leg of the handle as you face it. Also a 2004.

Luckily mine unlatched before it broke so I was able to pull the bezel. I too was thinking about drilling and JB Weld. I also thought I remembered reading about a Billet replacement. Anyone know the details on where to purchase one?

What's the trick for removing the green plastic rod clips to pull the latch assembly?

TIA,
Ken

hey my handle just broke on my 04 as well and i know another kid whose handle on his 04 broke too. im ordering a billet handle so this doesnt happen again...hopefully.

Drive safe,

Andrew

njblackave19 said:
hey my handle just broke on my 04 as well and i know another kid whose handle on his 04 broke too. I'm ordering a billet handle so this doesn't happen again...hopefully.

Drive safe,

Andrew

Where are you getting the billet handle? Is it the complete unit? I just ordered the stock assembly $86.00. And last night I JB welded the broken one and will proceed to try and pin it and reinforce it. I'll see how long it will last before I replace it with the new one. BTW I had to grind a 1/2 inch from the fiberglass tab covering the handle assembly in order to get it out.

Ken

Just swapped my handle out yesterday.

My tailgate was closed.  I made sure the lock was unlocked.  Then I lifted up on the broken handle to acess the rods that the green clips attach to.  With a skinny but long  flat tip screwdriver I was able to pry each rod in which released the latches allowing the tailgate to open.

Once open I removed the two smaller torx screws then carefully pulled the bezel down and out helping to pry the lower clips on the bezel with the same flat tip screw driver.

Take the tree large torx screw out next that attach the handle assy. to the tailgate.  I think they are a #30 bit and mine were very tight.

Next flip the two green plastic brackets open and move the handle linkage so you can move the rods out of the way as much as possilbe.

The only real tricky part is getting the old latch out.  Do not try and force it out through the top.  Looking at the handle slid it to the right and pull the top of the handle assy. out clearing the springs and other linkages.

The new handle goes in just the same.  I clipped the green clips right where I could see where the old ones sat from dirt marks or you could mark them in advance if your really worried.  I figured I would have to adjust them but my tailgate opens better than ever with the newer handle I bought off ebay.

While out I lubed my lock and the used Handle Assembly I got with some spray grease I have.

Good luck and this is such an easy do it yourselfer job.  Not dirty, not laying down and only took about a half hour.  Special tools need are only torx bits. 

Damn!  My tailgate handle just snapped on my 04 Avalanche.  13 degrees here so I thought it might be due to the extremely cold near zero weather we have been having this year.  But after reading this post and other online comments, it is obvious the handle is a piece of crap.

I can still open my tailgate by reaching in and pulling up hard on the broken piece still inside the tailgate handle cover assembly.

I thought I might be able to just buy the handle but it looks like, from what I read here, it must be purchased as part of the entire lock assembly.  Is this correct?  I too would like to replace it with something more durable.  Any suggestions?

Also, any service bulletins on this?  Seems to be a frequent occurrence.

Thanks all.

Dads04Z71 said:
Damn!  My tailgate handle just snapped on my 04 Avalanche.  13 degrees here so I thought it might be due to the extremely cold near zero weather we have been having this year.  But after reading this post and other online comments, it is obvious the handle is a piece of crap.

I can still open my tailgate by reaching in and pulling up hard on the broken piece still inside the tailgate handle cover assembly.

I thought I might be able to just buy the handle but it looks like, from what I read here, it must be purchased as part of the entire lock assembly.  Is this correct?  I too would like to replace it with something more durable.  Any suggestions?

Also, any service bulletins on this?  Seems to be a frequent occurrence.

Thanks all.

Hey there, I had the same problem, as you probably read.  I bought a factory replacement and installed it.  I then later found a chrome billet model sold on the internet for cheaper!! It looked great and was probably alot stronger.  I had the link saved as a favourite on my old computer and cant seem to find it anywhere now.  Just keep lookin around, I know there are chrome ones out there for cheap! they look sweet too! (y)

After reporting in my earlier post that my tailgate handle broke (as has happened to many others), and unwilling to pay $40 for the same piece of OEM crap, or $90 to the rip off artists, and unable to find a steel handle replacement, I took matters into my own hands.

Finding a piece of hardened scrap metal in my shop that was folded in two, I worked it on my vice until it slid snugly over the broken handle.  I then attached it with 2 short screws.  I only had to remove the tailgate cover piece, all work was done with the lock assembly on the vehicle.  Total time, about a half an hour, total cost - zip.  Not elegant for sure but it works like new and it gave me an opportunity to lube the assembly real good.  Photo below of fix.

Two interesting observations:

1. Crappy design as the load (torque) to release the gate is put all on one side of the handle guaranteeing an early demise.

2 You would think this tailgate lock would afford some serious security but a thief with just a screw driver could pry off the plastic handle cover, release the lock and have access to your cargo area in a matter of seconds.  In my opinion this cover should have made of steel and attached with 4 screws (not 2).  It wouldn't stop a determined crook but they would have to spend a lot more time hacking away to get at the lock.

No matter, I love my Avalanche.

Attachments

• IMG_4286.jpg
    IMG_4286.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 877
First hit on google, search!

http://www.avalancheandaccessories.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=441

:beating:
(y)

Just a quick follow up and a plug for Rockauto.com.

The infamous tailgate handle, despite my earlier fix described in a prior post, broke off again in a new spot.  Having heard many good things about RockAuto Parts on this site I gave them a try for a replacement tailgate handle assembly.  Plus their price was quite reasonable - with shipping it was on $29.57.  But the best part - I ordered the part on 4/9 at 3:16 am (yes in the early morning) and it arrived on my doorstep on Friday 4/10 at 10 am.  I did not request express shipping - just standard ground and that is how it was shipped.  Talk about amazing service.  RockAuto will be one of the first places I look for auto/truck parts from now on.
(y)

Wow that was fast delivery

I had hoped the removal and installation of the tailgate handle assembly would be easy, based on many of the posts I read on this forum.  It was not to be.

After I removed the 3 screws holding the handle assembly in place and releasing the two cables, no amount of maneuvering, fiddling, tugging or pulling would allow the assembly to come out of its "nest".  I came upstairs and reread some of the posts and one suggested removing the inner tailgate skin, another said to remove the tailgate top trim (spoiler) which is held on by 3M two way tape.

Neither sounded appealing so my solution, for those of you who run into the same problem, was to cut out a small piece of the plastic directly in front of the latch assembly.  I used a Dremel (rotary) tool with a small cutting disk and sliced off about 3/4" of plastic.  Only took a few seconds and then the old assembly came out easily and the new one went right in.  Photo below taken after the cut and old latch removed.  Arrows show where the cut was made.  The missing plastic is way up behind the handle and is not visible in any way.

Attachments

• TailgateHandleCut.jpg
    TailgateHandleCut.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 836
Dads04Z71 said:
I had hoped the removal and installation of the tailgate handle assembly would be easy, based on many of the posts I read on this forum.  It was not to be.

After I removed the 3 screws holding the handle assembly in place and releasing the two cables, no amount of maneuvering, fiddling, tugging or pulling would allow the assembly to come out of its "nest".  I came upstairs and reread some of the posts and one suggested removing the inner tailgate skin, another said to remove the tailgate top trim (spoiler) which is held on by 3M two way tape.

Neither sounded appealing so my solution, for those of you who run into the same problem, was to cut out a small piece of the plastic directly in front of the latch assembly.  I used a Dremel (rotary) tool with a small cutting disk and sliced off about 3/4" of plastic.  Only took a few seconds and then the old assembly came out easily and the new one went right in.  Photo below taken after the cut and old latch removed.  Arrows show where the cut was made.  The missing plastic is way up behind the handle and is not visible in any way.

Yea none of that sounds fun haha, I had to replace my "spoiler" after breaking it, that 3M tape sticks to absolutely everything and is very difficult to re-apply, not something you ever want to do!  :beating:

Had this problem on my 2000 Silverado in about 2003. "Fixed" it once myself...that lasted about a year. Then my wife engineered a tie wrap repair that was still holding up fine when we sold the truck in March 2008.

I hope this helps, it did me!

I just finished replacing mine. It took about an hour. Here's my step by step.

1. take off the two outside bolts on the inside of the tailgate behind the handle.
2. Now gently pull off the cladding around the latch. It is still held on by two christmas tree style holders.
3. Tie some long ropes to each of the two rods that the handle pulls together. You don't want them getting away from you.
4. Now free the rods from the plastic clamps. This is the point of no return.
5. Now remove the remaining 3 T40 bolts on the back of the tailgate.
6. The handle assembly is now free to come out. Hold on to it as you lift the tailgate back up. Don't shut the tailgate all the way.
7. Work the old handle out. I did not take any of the cladding off. It took about five minutes of gentle manipulations to get it out. I did have to pull on the metal tongue that comes up right in front of it.
8. Pop the replacement plastic clamps into their corrent places in the new handle. Hinge side down. Don't fasten them.
9. Put the new handle in the same way you took the old one out.
10. Attach with the 3 T40 bolts. Dont fully tighten, just snug. I would recommend some blue loctite as well.
11. Now shut the tailgate so that it latches. Place the pull rods in the plastic clamps and fasten them. Don't pull on the rods, just put them in the clamps.
12. Your door should work now. Try it a couple of times. Pull on both sides of the tailgate to make sure each is held tight. If so, tighten up all the bolts, put the cladding on, and your done.
13. If your door won't latch, the rods are being pulled together too much. Undue the plastic clamps, push the rods apart and reset them in the clamps.

I dont see what the big deal is... handles on 4 or 5 year old trucks break every day.  And its not just Avalanches.  If it was a $100 repair i could understand, but they're $32.67 shipped on ebay.

Remember the days of the chrome tailgate handle.
burn the snot out of your hand in summer sun.

For me easy does it with any plastic item as they get brittle with UV rays hitting them

Back