• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How often do you use 4wd?

2002AVA

I am asking this because I keep reading post of people having issue with their hubs. I have an 02 with 122k on her. I use my AUTO button all the time, even if I do not need to. I have heard that using it for a short time once every few hundred miles keeps the hubs lubed.I do not know if this is true or not, but my hubs are working fine.  I figured I would ask since winter is here and I have been switching from 2wd to Auto to 4hi as needed for road conditions. they not plow my neighborhood, so i have to use 4hi to get thru. When I get on the main road I switch to 2hi. Then when I get on side streets I go to Auto.

A lot this time of year

I run auto off of the highways in weather like we had today.  I also run it when I am out camping (camping usually = rain + mud)

I hit 4wd when I'm up in the canyons, and auto whenever I feel like driving safely in the rain.

We use it on the Av and Silverado when needed. I have always heard the rumor of locking them in every so often to lube the huns. On soft ground of course. Never do it hard pavement and drive. Auto would be ok I would think just because it kicks in when needed. Locking it in every once in a while definitely couldn't hurt. And besides it's better to know you have a problem before you actually have a need for it.

Not that often really. I put it in 4lo ever once in a while just to keep it in check. I might use it as needed as I go to the beach. This year I do not hunt in the hunting club where my FIL does, I hunt on private land. So I have to walk in. Last year I used it a couple of times in the club...once to pull him out..He had a 2wd last year.....he bought a 4wd this year >:D To be honest 4wd is a convience thing for me..I don't want to be in a postition to wish I had it because I am stuck...so I always try to buy a truck with it..just in case I need it..heck I even got 4wd in the wifes 07 'Burb we just bought...we will take that up to Beech Mountain in NC and I figure we moight use it then.

Well i'm up in NY right now and theres a serious sleet/snow/ice storm going on with about 3 inches of sleet and snow on the roads. This was my first real winter weather with my AV so i switched between 4hi and 2wd several times to see the difference.
i think the truck is so heavy it can handle a lot in 2wd as long as you're careful. no doubt about it tho, 4wd is the way to go on nights like tonight. other than that, 2wd 24/7.

I use 4auto in heavy rain or snow at times year round, 4hi once in a while for snow or sand/gravel even though it's not needed just to make sure it still works. I've been using 4auto alot recently due to snow and ice. Sure 2WD will work fine with the rear locker and great weight distribution of the truck but 4auto works even better.

If we get the expected snow today I'll take it where I need 4Lo and get a pic? (y)?

liftedlt2 said:
Well i'm up in NY right now and theres a serious sleet/snow/ice storm going on with about 3 inches of sleet and snow on the roads. This was my first real winter weather with my AV so i switched between 4hi and 2wd several times to see the difference.
i think the truck is so heavy it can handle a lot in 2wd as long as you're careful. no doubt about it tho, 4wd is the way to go on nights like tonight. other than that, 2wd 24/7.
it also benefits greatly from having that weight distributed nearly 50/50

Had a tape that came with my 91 S10 Blazer that said to run 4wd at least once a month and when it rained to keep the transfer box and front diff. and hubs lubed

4W-Auto should accomplish keeping the parts lubed if you break it loose on rain soaked pavement, loose gravel or sand. I never thought about it much, I put mine in Auto-4W often enough and kick it down on wet leaves or gravel on pavement situations just to feel it work.

I just like to check everything is working. Same goes for the locking rear differential, I like to gun it in 2WD on wet pavement to test the locker. I have to think about how to get out of 4W LOW because I use it so little. I know how but have to be doing it to remember exact sequence.

Shane ? edit and put how to get out of 4W-Low in first post

To get out of 4lo you just need to stop the Avalanche and put in in Neutral. Then push whatever button you choose. Remember 4Lo is a totally different gear then 4Hi and so the tranny has to be in Neutral.

Shanes 02 Avalanche said:
To get out of 4lo you just need to stop the Avalanche and put in in Neutral. Then push whatever button you choose. Remember 4Lo is a totally different gear then 4Hi and so the tranny has to be in Neutral.

I was thinking rolling at 5 mph or less, Neutral then switch works best  ???

I haven't used needed 4Low in a while

Only when I have to follow GoldBowTie to a gtg.

Attachments

• Visibility.jpg
    Visibility.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 613
PUNISHER said:
? ?i just ran it through the motions the other night to make sure it will still engage if i do need it.

Same here, after above mentioned GTG.  (y)
Used Auto going to the GTG.

I use mine several times a year from October through January. I try to remember to use it every couple of months throughout the rest of the year.

It's pretty rare that I need 4-low. If it's that bad I'll just get the tractor or 4-wheeler out.

I try to remember to put it into 4WD once a month or so.

I have not had issues with the Av in 6+ yrs. I have had issues with other 4WD vehicles that I have owned with the front differential seals drying out, then leaking fluid.

Back