• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Intermediate Steering Shaft Removal/Lube Kit Installation

DougD

SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
I'll use this thread to document the process of removing the Intermediate Steering Shaft (old version) and using the GM Lubrication Kit, for those looking for it.

For starters, here is the kit with contents, and the instructions page:

Attachments

• kit.JPG
    kit.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 3,610
  • instructions.JPG
    instructions.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 3,684
The following pictures identify the lower portion of the shaft, in the engine compartment.? Tools required to remove this end - 15mm socket and/or wrench.

Attachments

• shaft1.JPG
    shaft1.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 3,572
  • shaft2.JPG
    shaft2.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 3,544
Next, we'll show the upper end of the shaft, under the dash.? Same tools required to remove bolt at this end.? However, post following this will detail something that aids in removal.

Attachments

• shaft3.JPG
    shaft3.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 3,542
  • shaft4.JPG
    shaft4.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 3,520
Having a Z66 with power pedals, the accellerator pedal assembly is large, perhaps larger than a non-power.? Removing this assembly provides ample room to detach the shaft and remove it from the vehicle, pulling it out from under the dash.? Tools required:? 10mm socket, extension, universal joint helpful.? 2 nuts hold the pedal assembly on studs attached to the firewall.

Attachments

• pedal1.JPG
    pedal1.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 3,499
  • pedal2.JPG
    pedal2.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 3,484
Once the shaft is pulled out, this is what it looks like (compressed)

Attachments

• shaftout.JPG
    shaftout.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 3,502
Instructions inform you that the spacer in the lower end of the shaft is to be removed using needlenose pliers.? Be warned, this is not necessarily easy, mine was very tight.

Attachments

• spacer.JPG
    spacer.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 3,441
Once the spacer is removed, the instructions advise to compress the shaft.? Inject the entire contents of the syringe in to the shaft in the end that you removed the spacer from.

Once all lube is in the shaft, install the plug and tighten wing nut completely.? Then you get to exercise your shaft by expanding and compressing it several times to distribute the lubricant.? You should start to see a splined grease exit pattern from the upper end of the shaft collar.? Instructions suggest that you work the shaft until approximately 1/2" (13mm) of lubricant is exposed.

Attachments

• plug.JPG
    plug.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 3,412
Once the shaft is lubed to specs, installation is the reverse of removal.  Install the shaft from underneath the dash, secure upper end to steering column and tighten bolt.  Reinstall pedal (of removed) and tighten 2 nuts.  Insert lower end of shaft in upper end of next shaft, install bolt and tighten.

Drive a truck that feels new again.

Total time involved, start to finish, for me (including time to take pictures):

25 minutes.

This is really a zero-beer repair in terms of overall time and difficulty :)

Installing the updated shaft would use the same processes for shaft removal and reinstallation, the lubrication steps are skipped.

I read somewhere that you had to keep the steering wheel stationary. Did you use anything special to do this?

What is the correlation of having a Z66 with power pedals? Is something different if you have a Z71 with power pedals? How about if I still have winter air in my tires  ??? Or if I have a green Z66 with power pedals  :laugh:

cadboy1 said:
What is the correlation of having a Z66 with power pedals? Is something different if you have a Z71 with power pedals? How about if I still have winter air in my tires ??? Or if I have a green Z66 with power pedals :laugh:

I was just pointing out that mine was a Z66 with power pedals, vs. a non-power pedal equipped Av.

MR.SMITH said:
I read somewhere that you had to keep the steering wheel stationary. Did you use anything special to do this?

Common sense :)

One option is the seatbelt.  Run the seat forward, wrap the belt around the wheel, latch belt, move seat back to tighten.

DougD said:
I was just pointing out that mine was a Z66 with power pedals, vs. a non-power pedal equipped Av.

So the difference is you have power pedals. Not that you have a Z66 with power pedals. The Z66 is irrelevant or are the Z66's with power pedals different than a Z71 with power pedals? Not trying to be a D&%k. ?:love:

cadboy1 said:
So the difference is you have power pedals. Not that you have a Z66 with power pedals. The Z66 is irrelevant or are the Z66's with power pedals different than a Z71 with power pedals? Not trying to be a D&%k. ?:love:

No, only difference are power pedals vs. non-power pedals.  Power pedals make for a more contortionistic installation.

cadboy1 said:

You're just over-reading.

There's no difference between Z66 and Z71 pedals.

DougD said:
You're just over-reading.

There's no difference between Z66 and Z71 pedals.

Actually your over writing. Simply stating you had power pedals would have been sufficient.

Anyway..nice write up..where was it when I lubed my shaft a few years ago  ???

Wow i just read this. Very cool Doug,thanx.  Im working on it some day 'tho.

MR.SMITH said:
Got my shaft today. You coming to install it for me Doug?

Other way around, I'll install but it's done in MY garage :)

I know my tools, I am comfortable with my tools.  Even if it IS 247 freaking degrees in my garage.

A nice cool 57 degrees this morning on Long Island  :love:

silly question, but what is the reason that you have to do this? I just got a squeking noise when I turn the wheel.  Is that what you have to do to make that go away?

thank Doug for the write up and pics, very nice (y)

Back