• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2006 4x4 - Another Shimmy and dealer cannot pinpoint

swalt

I have had a steering wheel shimmy since the fall (40,000km's on truck).  Previously it seemed to come and go once the suspension was unloaded (on a hoist lift).  Now it is there all the time.   Thought it was my 20" tires, so the 17" factories were put back on, same problem.  Dealer balanced them and replaced one due to excessive road force. Still a problem.  Dealer replaced intermediate steering shaft, hubs, axles, still shakes between 80-120km/hr.  Truck was in the dealer for two weeks and they called me Friday to pick it up as they can't do anything further.  They are now putting it in the hands of GM engineering to come back with a resolution.   Anyone have any other ideas or had a similar issue?

No thought or look at the idler arm?

Or driveshaft, rear end (front differential for that matter)

Took a few weeks for the dealer to figure it out with the assistance of GM Engineering.  After checking specs on everything they could think of, Engineering asked that the tech's loosen off everything on the front and let it hang overnight to re-seat.  From what they explained to me, vitrually everything they could loosen on the front end was loosened including body mounts, diff, etc.  Everthing was buttoned back up yesterday and the shimmy has disappeared.  They went back through my service history and believed the problem may have arisen when they performed two TSB's on my truck a few months back.  One was for the intermediate steering shaft and the second was some sort of washers to eliminate a clunk when turning.

Three weeks it took, but I can throw the 20's on now for the summer.

Steve.

Ok, this is getting frustrating.  Had the truck on the highway today and the steering wheel started to shake again at 80-110km/hr after I had the 20's installed back on the truck.  Got home, pulled the front 20's off and put my factory 17's back on.  Steering wheel shake is still there and 17's were just road force balanced.  Pulled off the highway and made a very hard left turn on a side street, got back on the highway and the shake is almost gone...although it is slight....ideas?  I need to drop it off with them again and they are going to dread seeing me.

I have a 2004 Avalanche (60,000) miles on the truck. The truck just started to get a bad vibration between 25-35 miles per hour, only during acceleration. The vibration goes right up to the dashboard, which shakes badly. I had the tires checked and they were rebalanced. The vibration was still there. I am also looking for answers. any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Indy Inferno said:
I have a 2004 Avalanche (60,000) miles on the truck. The truck just started to get a bad vibration between 25-35 miles per hour, only during acceleration. The vibration goes right up to the dashboard, which shakes badly. I had the tires checked and they were rebalanced. The vibration was still there. I am also looking for answers. any help would be appreciated. Thank You.
only during acceleration ?    u-joints.

Back