Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're changing forum software! Read the details here.

Author Topic: What did you do to your Avalanche today?  (Read 1043844 times)

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
Re: What did you do to your Avalanche today?
« Reply #5225 on: March 28, 2020, 07:48:37 AM »

Man, do you want to head north and tackle some of my projects for me?  ;)
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

EXT4ME

• CAFCNA 2020 Premium Member
  • If one is good, then two must be better. Right?
« Reply #5226 on: March 28, 2020, 07:53:51 AM »

Man, do you want to head north and tackle some of my projects for me?  ;)

Wished I could.

:thumbsup:
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Carpet matched 60/40 Mid-Deck Mod. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT.
2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z-66 1500, Victory Red, Dark Charcoal leather, cladded. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Carpet matched 60/40 Mid-Deck Mod. Firestone Destination A/T ROWL.

No Tyme

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #5227 on: March 28, 2020, 10:20:16 AM »

Yesterday I swapped out the Blizzaks for my Cooper Discovers HT's. I really doubt we will be seeing any accumulating snow here in southern Michigan this season.
I did purchase a new tranny filter and some Dex as I am approaching 88 K and think its time for a filter change. It will be a bit before I can tackle that job with my interior door project I have gong right now, but I hope to have it completed by the time I will be hooking to the toy hauler and venturing south.
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Classic

Formerly 2013 Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond Blue Topaz
Formerly 2005 Avalanche Z71 Silver Birch

JVZL1

• Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY
« Reply #5228 on: March 28, 2020, 10:40:55 AM »

Made and installed a screened galvanized plate to cover the fender hole for the factory air intake.
This will eliminate any derby entering the aftermarket air box.
04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray

JV

frito

« Reply #5229 on: March 28, 2020, 13:53:07 PM »

Yesterday I swapped out the Blizzaks for my Cooper Discovers HT's. I really doubt we will be seeing any accumulating snow here in southern Michigan this season.
I did purchase a new tranny filter and some Dex as I am approaching 88 K and think its time for a filter change. It will be a bit before I can tackle that job with my interior door project I have gong right now, but I hope to have it completed by the time I will be hooking to the toy hauler and venturing south.
Yeah, I'll be swapping out our winter tires this weekend.  I was thinking to day but it'll probably tomorrow at this point.    For the second winter in a row I didn't even need them.  :'(  :E:
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #5230 on: March 28, 2020, 14:27:53 PM »

Took strap out of side bin... and put it back when I was done with it.

Poor baby just sits there all month.... get to drive her next week.
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

tblt44

« Reply #5231 on: March 28, 2020, 18:32:36 PM »

Well I attempted to pull out a burried F250 and failed.
Backed into a telephone poll when turning around.
No damage

frito

« Reply #5232 on: March 28, 2020, 20:08:10 PM »

Swapped out the winter tires on Bumblebee, Barney our XL7 and Mojo, my daughter's Chevy Spark.  Went back to my original plan and did it today instead of tomorrow.  Checked the front suspension while it was up in the air to see if I can find the source of my wobble and bouncing.  Everything seems right so I am perplexed.  I did find the source of a clunk when turning at low speed.  My pitman arm hits my transmission cooler line so I'll have to address that some time.  I also noticed what is likely a rear main seal leak.  That one is probably out of my skill set.  Also notice a transmission leak so Ill have to address that too.  If is probably time for a fluid change anyway. 

Z66Modder

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Region V Area
« Reply #5233 on: March 28, 2020, 20:12:46 PM »

Made and installed a screened galvanized plate to cover the fender hole for the factory air intake.
This will eliminate any derby entering the aftermarket air box.

Wow. must be a hell of problem with horses racing into your intake!  :4:

Old Avalanches don't Die, They just Go Faster

EXT4ME

« Reply #5234 on: March 29, 2020, 04:45:23 AM »

All that wild horsepower, I would assume.

2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Carpet matched 60/40 Mid-Deck Mod. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT.
2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z-66 1500, Victory Red, Dark Charcoal leather, cladded. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Carpet matched 60/40 Mid-Deck Mod. Firestone Destination A/T ROWL.

JVZL1

• Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY
« Reply #5235 on: March 29, 2020, 08:43:17 AM »

:laugh:  :E:
04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray

JV

Loggie

• What made it all happen--The Original Concept
    • Pics of AV
« Reply #5236 on: April 3, 2020, 16:57:29 PM »

Letting her rest from my quick trip down south and back.  just under 3K miles in 5 days

EXT4ME

« Reply #5237 on: April 6, 2020, 14:44:01 PM »

I purchased and installed a new battery in the Avalanche today.

When I bought the truck, I suspected the 24 month Interstate battery may have been on it's last legs.

When I removed that battery to remove the battery pan to get to the washer reservoir to replace it, I found quite a bit of corrosion on the pan.

I cleaned the pan and reinstalled the battery since it appeared to have plenty of power remaining.

Over the next couple of weeks, I was still having some leaks coming from that general area.

I used my radiator pressure tester and found a leak of coolant at the upper radiator hose where it attached to the radiator and fixed it.

Still, every once in a while I would catch a drip in the same general area.

Under closer observation, I determined the battery was leaking acid and the part of the pan I could see was getting wet and corroded again.

So, today a new battery was installed on a freshly cleaned battery pan.

The only other leak I am aware of is a very slow leak coming from the water pump shaft when the pressure tester has the system pressurized over 10 PSI.

I began gathering all of the parts I am going to need to replace the water pump, thermostat and housing, engine fan clutch, coolant reservoir and cap, all hoses and both quick disconnects at the firewall.

I'll catch all of the belts, tensioners and pulleys on a later project.

Also today, I removed the front passenger seat so that I could re-seat the front retainer for the seat bottom leather.

I knew how to do that correctly from the time when I installed all new front seat leather in the EXT a while back.

While the seat was out, I went ahead and vacuumed and shampooed the carpet on that side of the truck.

That was enough for one day.

EXT4ME

« Reply #5238 on: April 7, 2020, 04:16:29 AM »

Well, in a weak moment I decided to go all in and I ordered all of the new tensioners and pulleys.

I already have a new set of my preferred belts tucked away in a saddle bag of the EXT.

I will order a set of replacement spare belts later.

Today, I plan to remove the driver's seat and fix it like I did the passenger seat yesterday and also give the carpet on that side a good cleaning.

It will take a few days for all of my parts to arrive.

Until then, it looks like yard work chores will begin to keep me busy.

Got to keep an eye on those idle hands.

BainMan

• Send it!
« Reply #5239 on: April 7, 2020, 08:45:14 AM »

New tensioners and belts are cheap insurance in my opinion! Good move. Is the gen 1 AC belt 'stretchy' like the gen 2?
2010 LTZ 4x4

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #5240 on: April 7, 2020, 10:05:02 AM »

Nope the earlier ones before 2009 use a regular ac belt with a tensioner.

Funny you guys mentioned this, my tensioner is about a inch out of alignment. Going to change it as soon as I get home.
« Last Edit: April 7, 2020, 11:12:03 AM by MS03 2500 »
2003 2500

EXT4ME

« Reply #5241 on: April 7, 2020, 10:13:00 AM »

New tensioners and belts are cheap insurance in my opinion! Good move. Is the gen 1 AC belt 'stretchy' like the gen 2?

I don't know about stretchy, but both of my trucks are the same in that they use a tensioner for the a/c and main belts.

I do not know the exact maintenance history of this Avalanche, so I am inclined to replace a lot of the stuff I have already recently replaced my on EXT.

Both have nearly the same mileage.

Belts, hoses, quick disconnects, pulleys and tensioners I like to replace every 200K miles or so whether they need it or not.

No Tyme

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #5242 on: April 7, 2020, 17:33:11 PM »

I spent a good share of the late morning giving the AV a good hand washing... now I'm stuck with spots :(   Well water
I have an itch to sell the AV, and did post it on Marketplace on Facebook. Several inquiries already.
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Classic

Formerly 2013 Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond Blue Topaz
Formerly 2005 Avalanche Z71 Silver Birch

BainMan

• Send it!
« Reply #5243 on: April 8, 2020, 13:05:10 PM »

I don't know about stretchy, but both of my trucks are the same in that they use a tensioner for the a/c and main belts.

Gotcha! At some point they changed it, as there is no tensioner on the A/C belt for the 2010. The belt is a stretch fit instead, and you zip tie the belt (or use a tool) to the pulley and turn the belt onto and around the crank.  I hadn't changed a stretch fit belt until this truck.
2010 LTZ 4x4

EXT4ME

« Reply #5244 on: April 9, 2020, 04:00:49 AM »

Wednesday was sunny and 88 degrees here.

There was no way I was going to stay inside.

I removed the driver's seat in the Avalanche and repaired the front edge retaining clip of the seat bottom just as I had on the passenger side previously.

There is no telling how long ago the front retaining clip on both seat bottom leathers had been completely off.

The leather on both front seats is now tight and they look pretty good.

That makes me happy.

With the seat out of the truck, I proceeded to thoroughly vacuum the carpet on that side from front to back.

Then, I shampooed the carpet.

Both sides of the truck carpet are now cleaned and they look and smell much better.

When I bought the Avalanche, it was missing one of the rear window lock down wheels on the midgate.

I had located some new ones and I bought two, just to have a spare.

What I have since found is the lock down wheels for each side is slightly different and I had bought two for the passenger side and the side I was missing was the driver's side.

Of course.

There is a raised plastic tab that is located on the back side of the lock down wheel that positions the wheel in the correct orientation depending upon which side the lock down wheel is installed.

I may try to locate the correct lock down wheel at some later time, but for now, my Dremel made short work of that plastic tab.

The plastic trim from the headliner down in my Avalanche is dark charcoal in color and I had found some plastic interior trim paint that I used to make the new lock down wheel more closely match.

For those that do not know, if you can find the replacement lock down wheels, they all come in the shale (tan) interior color.

The paint that I found is a near match, but the lock down wheel looks better being near grey than tan.

And the function is nearly perfect, only needing a slight adjustment to open it up to allow the rear window to be mounted for storage.

The locking position is perfect.

After performing that repair, I decided to go ahead and do a full detail of the interior.

I have to admit the interior turned out much better than I was expecting.

I still have a couple of minor spots on the headliner and I need to detail clean the interior glass.

I am really pleased with the way this truck is turning out.

My parts for the cooling system are beginning to trickle in and should all be here by early next week.

As I looked around, all of the grass in the yards I mow is really starting to grow.

Looks like I will be spending a lot more time outside from now on.

That's fine by me.

« Last Edit: April 9, 2020, 04:03:18 AM by EXT4ME »

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #5245 on: April 9, 2020, 04:40:08 AM »

busy little beaver there EXT...

Jeeze... I was at home working....
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

EXT4ME

« Reply #5246 on: April 9, 2020, 05:29:58 AM »

My wife has been working from home for several weeks now.

By the looks I sometimes get while roaming around inside and foraging for snacks, I felt it was best if I stayed outdoors more.

frito

« Reply #5247 on: April 9, 2020, 05:36:34 AM »

Man, same here.  It's our fiscal year end and I was putting 15 hours days last week and worked over the weekend.  I'm just happy I didn't have to drive to and from the office on top of that.

Hey EXT, how about I find some respirators for you and you cruise on up here to take of mine if you need to stay out of your wife's way.  ;)

EXT4ME

« Reply #5248 on: April 9, 2020, 05:57:51 AM »

Man, same here.  It's our fiscal year end and I was putting 15 hours days last week and worked over the weekend.  I'm just happy I didn't have to drive to and from the office on top of that.

Hey EXT, how about I find some respirators for you and you cruise on up here to take of mine if you need to stay out of your wife's way.  ;)

I like the way you think.

While out driving to check on my mother and mother-in-law yesterday, I drove past a guy in shorts and t-shirt that was jogging with a full gas mask type face mask.

I don't know how he could even see through the fogged over eyepieces.

I would have hated to tell him that this does not work like that.

And I am seeing people wearing masks while driving in their car.

:laugh:

EXT4ME

« Reply #5249 on: April 11, 2020, 04:03:53 AM »

I cleared out the few items in both saddle bags and washed out the accumulated dirt and such.

By the looks of things, neither side has ever been cleaned out and this truck has seen it's share of dirt roads.

When I treated my bed panels with Refinish Restorer a while back, I left them stacked against the garage wall since we were going to receive several days of rain and the pollen has also been raining down pretty bad.

I had to pull the bed mat again and clear all of the drains of pollen debris.

What a mess.

I'm thinking I should have put the bed panels back on that day.

Anyway, everything is clean and clear once again and the bed panels are all mounted and secured.

The Avalanche is really starting to clean up nicely.

I had replaced the 7-way trailer connector a while back, but it wouldn't mount in the holder straight due to the holder having been hit and bent.

I got down there and used some persuasion tools and got everything back straight, level and tested.

I needed to make sure everything was working since mowing season is now upon us and the trailer is about to be pressed into service.

The EXT is still sitting in the garage, all cleaned up and just watching as it's new stablemate is getting all of the attention.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 23 queries.