Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're changing forum software! Read the details here.

Author Topic: What did you do to your Avalanche today?  (Read 1043848 times)

EXT4ME

• CAFCNA 2020 Premium Member
  • If one is good, then two must be better. Right?
Re: What did you do to your Avalanche today?
« Reply #5250 on: April 11, 2020, 12:08:25 PM »

I pulled both taillight housings on the Avalanche and washed out all of the accumulated dirt and gravel from the lower rear fender wells.

I removed one of the taillight housings from the EXT and reassembled the backup light LED assemblies that had fallen apart.

Charged the EXT battery.

Not much else is going on around here today.

Thought about starting up some yard work or busting out the power washer.

Then I thought better of it.

Just going to enjoy the warm sunshine before the rain hits tonight and it gets cold for a few days.

Mother Nature seems to be having a hard time making up her mind.
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Carpet matched 60/40 Mid-Deck Mod. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT.
2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z-66 1500, Victory Red, Dark Charcoal leather, cladded. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Carpet matched 60/40 Mid-Deck Mod. Firestone Destination A/T ROWL.

EXT4ME

« Reply #5251 on: April 13, 2020, 03:58:42 AM »

After raining all morning, the sun came back out for a while, so I decided I would start on my cooling system project.

I got everything tore down and I proceeded to replace things.

I got both heater hoses removed with the normal amount of hassle.

If you have the multi set of quick disconnect tools, the green one is the one you want to use.

This has never been the easiest thing to do, but I sure am happy to have those old OEM hoses and quick disconnects gone.

I replaced the old surge tank and cap since the old OEM tank was stained so badly that you could barely see what the coolant level was inside.

I had previously done that on the EXT and it made a world of difference when tracking my coolant loss on that vehicle.

And we all know how that one ended up.

I replaced the a/c belt and tensioner.

They we both due.

A new serpentine belt pulley was installed, but I had ordered the wrong serpentine belt tensioner, so that part will have to wait until I get the correct one.

The water pump was next to be replaced.

I pulled the old one and cleaned the mating surfaces before installing the new one.

I torqued the water pump bolts down to spec.

Next came the thermostat housing.

I slowly ran down the two bolts until they were snug, then I went to apply the proper torque.

One bolt torqued down nicely.

The second bolt snapped off with about 1/8 inch of broken bolt left showing.

So, I'm off to the big box store first thing this morning to buy a set of screw and bolt extractors for an attempt to extract that bolt.

If all goes well today, I will install new upper and lower radiator hoses and fresh coolant, along with a new serpentine belt.

I replaced the old OEM fan clutch.

Lastly, I will install a couple of plastic fan shroud retainers as two of them were missing.

I have my fingers crossed that I have already had my mishap for this project.

:thumbsup:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 04:00:48 AM by EXT4ME »
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Carpet matched 60/40 Mid-Deck Mod. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT.
2003 Chevrolet Avalanche Z-66 1500, Victory Red, Dark Charcoal leather, cladded. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Carpet matched 60/40 Mid-Deck Mod. Firestone Destination A/T ROWL.

CarMech1969

• "A Chevy man to the end..."
« Reply #5252 on: April 13, 2020, 06:19:14 AM »

Next came the thermostat housing.

I slowly ran down the two bolts until they were snug, then I went to apply the proper torque.

One bolt torqued down nicely.

The second bolt snapped off with about 1/8 inch of broken bolt left showing.

Did you blow out the thermostat bolt holes?
A buddy of mine had this happen on his 1988 Dodge Dakota (years ago)
There was water and old gasket schmoo in the bolt holes, and he didn't clean it out.
Went to tighten the thermostat bolts and broke one or both of them, I don't recall exactly.
Asked him if he cleaned out the bolt holes.
His face just went blank. lol
You can't compress a liquid.
A mistake you'll only make once!  :4:
Owner of a 2002 Avalanche 2500 series, 4X4

EXT4ME

« Reply #5253 on: April 13, 2020, 07:01:30 AM »

A buddy of mine had this happen on his 1988 Dodge Dakota (years ago)
There was water and old gasket schmoo in the bolt holes, and he didn't clean it out.
Went to tighten the thermostat bolts and broke one or both of them, I don't recall exactly.
Asked him if he cleaned out the bolt holes.
His face just went blank. lol
You can't compress a liquid.
A mistake you'll only make once!  :4:

I blew out the water pump mounting holes on the engine after I cleaned the mounting surfaces.

The holes on the new water pump were filled with the two new bolts that I removed moments before installing the thermostat housing.

I used the new bolts to mount the housing.

I think my torque wrench was off a bit.

It is now in the trash bin.

They get one chance to be wrong with me.

EXT4ME

« Reply #5254 on: April 13, 2020, 08:35:29 AM »

And as a side note, I just got the new water pump off and the bolt holes for the thermostat housing go all the way through the water pump and are open on the back side.

Yea!

CarMech1969

• "A Chevy man to the end..."
« Reply #5255 on: April 13, 2020, 10:41:55 AM »

And as a side note, I just got the new water pump off and the bolt holes for the thermostat housing go all the way through the water pump and are open on the back side.

Yea!

Ah.   :cool:
Owner of a 2002 Avalanche 2500 series, 4X4

Aerohokie

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
  • The Battlanche
« Reply #5256 on: April 13, 2020, 18:57:44 PM »

Took off the old Sirius antenna and finally fit the factory antenna wire to the aftermarket receiver. One less add-on to keep up with.
2004 Avalanche Z71
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
1980 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am
So many toys, so little time to play!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------

EXT4ME

« Reply #5257 on: April 14, 2020, 04:42:23 AM »

I was finally able to get the broken bolt on the new water pump at the thermostat housing out after two trips out to buy extractor bits.

If I can pass one thing along, do not bother with the Craftsman extractor bit set found at Lowes.

While that set did not expressly say the bits would or would not work on automotive grade fasteners, I believe these bits are best left for much softer metals like those found in wood projects.

I wasted the two smallest sizes instantly and gave up before having to drill a larger hole in the bolt to try the next size up.

I found an extractor bit set at a local O’Reilly Auto Parts store that did the trick nicely.

My thinking now is a tool sold in an auto parts store vs a big box store would have worked better, and it did.

The big box store was just open earlier in the day and I wanted to get in and out before the throngs of people descended upon the store.

Oh, well.

After the extraction, everything else went smoothly and according to plan.

All of the bolts torqued to spec nicely when using my other torque wrench.

I knew right away as I carefully torqued down each bolt that I was applying less pressure than I had previously done with the other torque wrench.

I have been thinking about picking up a couple of different sizes of this ACDelco 3/8” Digital Torque Adapter (5.9-59 ft-lbs) with Audible Alert ARM602-3 as a back up to my regular torque wrenches.

I like these devices because they work on your regular socket wrenches and they also can be used to see how much torque is needed to break a bolt loose for those times you suspect someone else had just ugga-dugga'ed a fastener down before you.

The only part I was not able to replace for this project was the main belt tensioner.

Somehow, I had ordered the wrong part and now I have the correct part headed this way.

I just used the old part for now, but that thing really needs to be replaced soon.

I checked over my work, filled the system with coolant and let the engine run for an hour while I put away all of my tools and cleaned up my work area.

A long test drive showed no leaks or other problems.

The new fan clutch worked so much better than the OEM original that came off.

With the old fan clutch, the fan would just spin freely by hand with the engine off.

I'm sure electric fans would solve that issue, but my preference is the old school fan clutch and I am not interested in doing a conversion.

When they are not worn out, they work pretty durn good.

Overall cooling of the entire system was better and more stable and the a/c is ice cold at idle.

Other than the broken bolt, this one project went well and was mostly painless without finding any addition items of concern.

Now, it's on to finding some other things to tinker on.

Cplatt88

• So Happy we got an Avalanche
« Reply #5258 on: April 16, 2020, 19:38:51 PM »

End of February 2020 we got a very nice looking 2002 Avalanche.  The husband's main concerns were it be a 4x4 with four doors those were my criteria. Found my truck for under 4k. So since owning it we have gone out trail riding, pulled a friend out of some very tight spots where he had framed his 2 wheel drive Cadillac SUV with zero problems. We live in FL and so when someone gets stuck it's in what we call sugar sand because that stuff gets EVERYWHERE.  No joke. Husband broke a CV, we got a nice set of 33's on it with some pretty aggressive tread. Looking to get a 6 inch lift done sometime soon. It came with a 3 inch lift. I am just so IN LOVE with this truck. Can't wait until I am able to post pictures of it.
2002 Victory Red Chevy Avalanche 1500 4x4 3 inch lift

EXT4ME

« Reply #5259 on: April 17, 2020, 03:51:41 AM »

I received the correct main belt tensioner and some new radiator hose clamps yesterday.

I used OEM spring clamps everywhere except where the upper radiator hose attaches to the radiator.

At that location, I used the existing worm clamp, which I quickly found was worn out (or poor quality to begin with) and I developed a leak when fully pressurized.

For the life of me, I could not locate OEM style spring clamps to fit a radiator hose.

There are plenty of spring clamps out there, but all I could find were for smaller hoses.

So, I researched and I bought a box of quality worm clamps big enough to fit the radiator hoses.

That's all I currently have planned to do to the Avalanche today.

But, you know how that goes.

EXT4ME

« Reply #5260 on: April 17, 2020, 15:09:58 PM »

I installed the correct belt tensioner and new worm style radiator hose clamp.

I pressurized the cooling system to the full 15 PSI and let it set for an hour.

No leaks!

It has been ten days since I last filled the gas tank in the Avalanche, so I ran down to Kroger and used another $1 off per gallon discount to top off the tank.

Too bad the EXT is still full from way back in the first of February.

I would really enjoy these prices for the Premium I burn in that truck.

No Tyme

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #5261 on: April 17, 2020, 16:30:39 PM »

I load up my gas cans and ALWAYS get my 35 gallons.
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Classic

Formerly 2013 Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond Blue Topaz
Formerly 2005 Avalanche Z71 Silver Birch

EXT4ME

« Reply #5262 on: April 17, 2020, 18:31:41 PM »

I load up my gas cans and ALWAYS get my 35 gallons.

All of my gas cans are full, as are all of my riding and push mowers and trimmers and such.

Our other two vehicles were filled up and haven't moved since my wife started working from home almost two months ago.

By my measure I left less than $1.50 on the table.

I couldn't even buy a gas can for that.

Loggie

• What made it all happen--The Original Concept
    • Pics of AV
« Reply #5263 on: April 18, 2020, 04:12:56 AM »

Went out a did a quick photo shoot :laugh:

EXT4ME

« Reply #5264 on: April 18, 2020, 13:25:09 PM »

Changed the oil and filter.

Changed the frame mounted fuel filter.

I pulled both front wheels and inspected the front brakes and wheel bearing hubs.

I saw nothing there that required my immediate attention.

I had previously observed that both front bump stops and sway bar links were in dire need of replacement.

I had ordered the parts and was waiting for a nice day to address those.

One of the bump stops was totally gone and the other one may as well have been since it was rotten and only part of it remained in the cup.

One quick jab with a screwdriver made what was left crumble and fall out of the cup.

If anyone has never replaced the front bump stops, I can tell you that this repair is quite possibly the easiest repair you will ever do on these trucks.

The sway bar links looked to be the OEM originals and were well past being very useful.

The new Moog links firmed up the cornering nicely.

The front and rear shocks appear to be fairly new.

The rest of the front suspension looked to be tight and in good shape.

I think that is enough for today.

Cplatt88

« Reply #5265 on: April 18, 2020, 15:30:41 PM »

Did our first oil change since buying the avalanche and the oil in the filter was basically black sludge. So glad we didn't wait too much to get it done. May we will be getting another just to make sure that the filter and oil are nice and clear of any particles that may have been built up in the system from lack of oil changes.

Z66Modder

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Region V Area
« Reply #5266 on: April 18, 2020, 18:48:51 PM »

Did our first oil change since buying the avalanche and the oil in the filter was basically black sludge. So glad we didn't wait too much to get it done. May we will be getting another just to make sure that the filter and oil are nice and clear of any particles that may have been built up in the system from lack of oil changes.

Welcome Cplatt88. Glad you found us.

Man, I just looked at the yellow pollen mud on my Z66. I love spring but the tree pollen is off the charts this year in the PNW region.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 23:51:05 PM by Z66Modder »

Old Avalanches don't Die, They just Go Faster

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
« Reply #5267 on: April 20, 2020, 04:00:52 AM »

Attempted to drive for the first time in a month.  Seeing as the keyless remote wouldn't work and the dash lights didn't even come on it spent the afternoon on the charger instead.  It will spend today on the charger as well.
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

EXT4ME

« Reply #5268 on: April 20, 2020, 04:52:04 AM »

Attempted to drive for the first time in a month.  Seeing as the keyless remote wouldn't work and the dash lights didn't even come on it spent the afternoon on the charger instead.  It will spend today on the charger as well.

Since the EXT only gets started to move it out of the garage so I can get something in there, it's battery doesn't have enough time to charge during the short time the engine is ran.

I just hooked up a battery charger to it and I toss a good charge on the battery whenever I think about it.

I figure I will be buying a new battery once the new engine gets installed, but no need to do that just yet.

The Avalanche is our only vehicle getting driven right now, so the new battery in it stays charged pretty good.

I start and run my wife's Acadia every few days.

After having both my mother's and mother-in-law's vehicles just sit in their garages since this thing began, I now have them open the garage door and run their engines for 15 minutes every other day to keep the batteries charged.

That's much easier than me putting some kind of charger on the battery that neither one of them could take off.

It seems to be keeping their batteries topped off nicely.

Cplatt88

« Reply #5269 on: April 20, 2020, 05:31:48 AM »

Welcome Cplatt88. Glad you found us.

Man, I just looked at the yellow pollen mud on my Z66. I love spring but the tree pollen is off the charts this year in the PNW region.

In FL it isn't so much the pollen right now as it is the dust. I live on a dirt road and we need rain bad. So far in the last month including right now it has rained twice where I live. It has been a dusty dry spring so far.

BainMan

• Send it!
« Reply #5270 on: April 20, 2020, 08:46:07 AM »

I likely found the source of why my AC smells for a few minutes after startup. I guess the evaporator coil is tasked with double duty, it serves as an air filter (and mold collector). Good excuse to use the borescope! Now I just have to find a way to clean it....

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 08:49:42 AM by BainMan »
2010 LTZ 4x4

Loggie

• What made it all happen--The Original Concept
    • Pics of AV
« Reply #5271 on: April 20, 2020, 09:12:34 AM »

damn :o that's naaaaaasty   :laugh:

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #5272 on: April 20, 2020, 10:00:58 AM »

Holly Molly, another thing I have to check.
2003 2500

EXT4ME

« Reply #5273 on: April 20, 2020, 11:02:08 AM »

Perhaps this.

Lubegard 96030 Kool-It Evaporator and Heater Foam Cleaner.

There are several Youtube videos showing it's use.

EXT4ME

« Reply #5274 on: April 20, 2020, 11:13:09 AM »

After a discussion on Facebook concerning front suspensions and bump stops, I came to realize that on a non-lifted truck, the bump stop is always in constant contact with the lower suspension and does not ride above it.

The bump stops on the Avalanche were either gone or so badly rotten that they were useless.

So, I went out and checked the newly installed bump stops and saw that they were indeed touching the front suspension while the truck was at rest.

This prompted me to have a look at the EXT and I found those bump stops were in a poor state of repair, as well.

A pair of new bump stops have now been ordered and will be installed when they arrive.

I had no idea.

It's good to learn something new every day.

Pages: 1 ... 207 208 209 210 [211] 212 213 214   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 23 queries.