Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 ... 200 201 202 203 [204] 205   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you do to your Avalanche today?  (Read 1020299 times)

EXT4ME

• CAFCNA 2019 Premium Member
  • ... I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac ...
Re: What did you do to your Avalanche today?
« Reply #5075 on: September 20, 2019, 14:11:33 PM »

... Getting the loaner tool from Advance Auto Parts to remove the fan ...

If you ever find yourself unable to acquire one of those tools, you can get the fan off by leaving the belt on, putting a large wrench on the fan clutch nut and giving the wrench a couple of sharp wraps with a hammer.

This is always the method I use and it works well for uninstalling and reinstalling.

:thumbsup:

2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Seasons.

2004Slickside

« Reply #5076 on: September 22, 2019, 11:15:50 AM »

Well you've jinxed yourself now man! Famous last words!  :B:
I'm happy to report that the rest of the water pump repair went off without incident!  Easy-peasy - but all a little hard on the ribs working on a tall vehicle.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 11:21:31 AM by 2004Slickside »
Thanks Photobucket for trying to hold my images hostage, after making the links to do third-party image hosting available and so easy. Now I have stopped using you for all new photos!

2004Slickside

« Reply #5077 on: September 22, 2019, 11:20:52 AM »

If you ever find yourself unable to acquire one of those tools, you can get the fan off by leaving the belt on, putting a large wrench on the fan clutch nut and giving the wrench a couple of sharp wraps with a hammer.

This is always the method I use and it works well for uninstalling and reinstalling.

Yeah, this one was pretty easy to get off compared to the one on my 2001 Blazer.  The special tool I got was only a large size wrench set - didn't have the spanner to hold the pulley in place.  As you say I did remove the fan before taking off the belt and that seemed to work great for holding things in place.  Couple of hits on the wrench with my hand and off it came.  Thanks!
Thanks Photobucket for trying to hold my images hostage, after making the links to do third-party image hosting available and so easy. Now I have stopped using you for all new photos!

Z66Modder

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Region V Area
« Reply #5078 on: September 25, 2019, 22:53:12 PM »

I remembered CAI test fit I did some years back between a factory air inlet tube and a CAI style while still using the factory box with a K&N drop in filter. It seemed the factory tube was better off the line. A year latter, it all got pulled and the CAI system was installed. So yesterday I decided to try the factory tube with the CAI box, Oh Boy was it better.  It got rid of some high pitch noises and now its a deep throaty sound. I know it's ugly but it works great.

Old Avalanches don't Die, They just Go Faster

JVZL1

• Looking For A Crew Cab Pick UP Drove An AVY
« Reply #5079 on: September 27, 2019, 19:08:14 PM »

Remove the saddlebag lid.  :o :E:  :needhug:

Wish me luck. 
  I'm sending the lid with a seal still attached and a seal that has fallen off.
I've been in contact with Steele Rubber Products. They are interested in making the seals.
If they do I'll get a set for free.    :woohoo:

Or they just send everything back.  :6:

Well I looked on here and You Tube first. Went out to do it.  :P

I guess if you need the hinge to go with the lid.
Boom six bolt and off.   :laugh:

Well SRP called today they are sending my seals and lid back.
The factory seals are made with two kinds of rubber they can't match.
They do not feel they could make a quality product. So they are passing.  :'(

04 4x4 2500 Dark Gray

JV

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #5080 on: September 27, 2019, 20:56:09 PM »

That sucks. :thumbdown:

Thanks for trying
2003 2500

old skool

« Reply #5081 on: September 27, 2019, 21:00:13 PM »

Installed a phone holder by Panavise. Would have liked to show it with the phone...but for obvious reasons, I couldn't ::)

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 21:01:47 PM by old skool »
Ebony 2007 LS

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #5082 on: September 28, 2019, 08:17:59 AM »

I'm going to put the sway bar back in after my spring shackle repair.
2003 2500

2004Slickside

« Reply #5083 on: September 30, 2019, 09:33:08 AM »

New P/S pump this weekend to fix a bad leak at the shaft when under high pressure (against steering lock).  Had been running low on fluid and howling every 2-3 weeks.  Slowing making a big mess on my driveway.  Not quite as easy as the water pump, but not too bad.  A few hours work.  Interesting system with the hydroboost and the P/S cooler.  Put a P/S filter in the return line, but only in the steering side.  Bought a new pump, not a rebuilt.  I sure hate getting old P/S fluid on my hands - black seems to never come off - especially in the fingernails.

old skool

« Reply #5084 on: September 30, 2019, 18:57:55 PM »

I sure hate getting old P/S fluid on my hands - black seems to never come off - especially in the fingernails.

Get you some of those latex gloves. Keeps your hands clean. That's what I wear anytime I work on my vehicle
Ebony 2007 LS

Z66Modder

• Region V Area
« Reply #5085 on: September 30, 2019, 19:41:55 PM »

Get you some of those latex gloves. Keeps your hands clean. That's what I wear anytime I work on my vehicle

Yep, that's what i do as well.

EXT4ME

« Reply #5086 on: September 30, 2019, 23:24:52 PM »

After my front end work recently, I had to make a trip to Harbor Freight to restock on latex gloves and shop towels.

I needed to be stocked up for an upcoming project.

2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts. Goodyear Assurance CS TripleTred All-Seasons.

2004Slickside

« Reply #5087 on: October 9, 2019, 11:04:36 AM »

New P/S pump this weekend to fix a bad leak at the shaft when under high pressure (against steering lock).  Had been running low on fluid and howling every 2-3 weeks.  Slowing making a big mess on my driveway.  Not quite as easy as the water pump, but not too bad.  A few hours work.  Interesting system with the hydroboost and the P/S cooler.  Put a P/S filter in the return line, but only in the steering side.  Bought a new pump, not a rebuilt.  I sure hate getting old P/S fluid on my hands - black seems to never come off - especially in the fingernails.
Now I have found a second smaller P/S fluid leak (drip) at the weep hole between the hydroboost and the master cylinder.  I actually watched the fluid rapidly run out of the pump seal before when wheels were turned against the steering lock, so I don't regret the replacement P/S pump.  Maybe I damaged the old seals on both by getting the pressure too high.  who knows...

Initially ordered a complete rebuilt Delco hydroboost for $200, as service manual said to replace the entire assembly - but cancelled that after watching a few YouTube videos about replacing only the piston seal (which definitively causes this common problem).  3 seal kit off Ebay for $10.  We will see how this repair works.  One thing I have found out is that you need to have the hydroboost oriented a certain way when you split it (front straight down), or things can fall out of place (specifically the relief check valve - it's kind of like putting an automatic trans for an old 1960s Ford on it's tail when taking the front pump off - don't want any thrust washers to fall out of place - don't ask how I know).  Initially I wondered why everyone was taking the hydroboost completely off for repair of only the piston seal.  I suppose this is why.  Wish me luck!! I did find the parts blowup for the hydroboost...  attached as a PDF

The leaking seal is definitely #17 in the first expanded view.  Also included in my kit of 3 seals is #32, which seals the two halves of the hydroboost where it splits.  Not sure about the third seal, but it is a larger type of seal that may be #17 for a slightly smaller piston - don't really see another large seal like it in any of the blow-ups.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 10:16:45 AM by 2004Slickside »

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
« Reply #5088 on: October 9, 2019, 18:06:41 PM »

Good luck.  Let us know how it goes.
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

EXT4ME

« Reply #5089 on: October 10, 2019, 16:36:25 PM »

Spent the day installing a remanufactured AWD front differential in my EXT.

No Tyme

• CAFCNA 2018 Supporting Member
« Reply #5090 on: October 10, 2019, 16:53:18 PM »

Pulled the 1" pucks from under the coils in the rear and replaced them with 2.5" pucks. Now I have a 2.5" lift front AND rear.
2013 Avalanche LTZ Black Diamond Blue Topaz Metallic W/ Summit Performance 2 1/2" lift, Hollander 5308ís wrapped with 275 65 R 20ís Coper Discoverer HTPís, DZ TailGate assist, Sound Ordinance powered sub, AVS Vent Visors, Firestone Air Springs, Husky Liners, cool white interior LEDís, JDM Alstar backup lights.

Formerly 2005 Avalanche Z71 Silver Birch

frito

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • "I'll be your bumblebee buzzing around"
« Reply #5091 on: October 10, 2019, 17:25:51 PM »

So how'd go?
Bumblebee - '03 Z71, FTDRL, All On High, Sail Panel LEDs, Bumper Cup Holders.  Decisions, Decisions...

2004Slickside

« Reply #5092 on: October 10, 2019, 17:38:17 PM »

Bet it went just fine as soon as you got the Pitman arm loose.  That's the only place I had much trouble in my 2004 Avy.  Imagine a 2004 EXT would be pretty much the same.

EXT4ME

« Reply #5093 on: October 10, 2019, 21:22:17 PM »

So how'd go?

I thought it went really well.

Still, I bet I will be sore for a while.

EXT4ME

« Reply #5094 on: October 10, 2019, 21:30:35 PM »

Bet it went just fine as soon as you got the Pitman arm loose.  That's the only place I had much trouble in my 2004 Avy.  Imagine a 2004 EXT would be pretty much the same.

Dropping the center link off of the Pitman arm and idler arm made all the difference in the world.

I made good use of the new ball joint removal tool kit I bought for this project.

I left the center link attached to both tie rods, though.

It swung away far enough to get the job done.

Pretty much everything mechanically is the same between the Avalanche and an EXT.

spidey

• "On the Ranch" by Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
« Reply #5095 on: October 11, 2019, 14:37:47 PM »

Finally made an appointment to get my Bilstein Shocks installed and alignment.  As well getting the winters and summers swapped at the same place since the tires have to come off anyway

Im trying to find the adjustment for the front shocks if I want to make my Avy level instead of the ass end up like from Factory.

Does anyone have that info handy or the location on the site.  Searching on here isnt the best

Thanks
Silver Ice 2012 LT - Bought June 9, 2012, 240kms

Chrome antenna Chrome AVS bug/rock hood guard
DeeZee tailgate assist hydraulic LED Hitch step
Console organizer Weathertech window vent visors (smoke)
Weathertech floormats (front & rear) Embossed chrome door sill plates
Putco Liquid Spider Web grill insert Chrome lettered license plate frame
Bowtie license plate cover Helo rims/Goodyear Wranglers
Putco tail light chrome trim Chev stamped muffler tip
Bushwacker fender flares Gatorback mud flaps

Z66Modder

• Region V Area
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 09:15:21 AM by Z66Modder »

spidey

« Reply #5097 on: October 15, 2019, 07:29:16 AM »

Start here with ford keys https://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?topic=125610.msg1893208#msg1893208

What am I reading there, people with lifts?  Adding ford keys etc

I want the front height adjustment people have used with the Bilstein shocks on the front

2004Slickside

« Reply #5098 on: October 15, 2019, 07:53:17 AM »

Finally made an appointment to get my Bilstein Shocks installed and alignment.  As well getting the winters and summers swapped at the same place since the tires have to come off anyway

Im trying to find the adjustment for the front shocks if I want to make my Avy level instead of the ass end up like from Factory.

Does anyone have that info handy or the location on the site.  Searching on here isnt the best

Thanks
I thought you adjusted the torsion bars for front ride height (not an adjustment on the shocks)

spidey

« Reply #5099 on: October 15, 2019, 08:08:50 AM »

I thought you adjusted the torsion bars for front ride height (not an adjustment on the shocks)

Thats what Im fidning out.  I thought the Bilstein shocks that have height adjustment was what you need for a slight front lift, and thats all you need
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:11:44 AM by spidey »

Pages: 1 ... 200 201 202 203 [204] 205   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 24 queries.