• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

XM Radio won't authorize on new "used" 2009 Av

Billy Dreamer

Anyone have the issue of not having your XM Radio authorize no matter what troubleshooting SiriusXM has tried with you?  They eventually said go to dealer, dealer says unit is fine and that most likely need to cancel subscription and then after a 24-48 hour period, re-subscribe for the vehicle. 

I bought the Av used in Feb and transferred over my old vehicle's subscription and they have been unable to get it to authorize this entire time.  It actually worked fine during their free preview over the Memorial Day holiday, then went back to un-authrozied after that.  So the unit definitely works.  Just can't authorize for my subscription.  Anyone have experience with this?

Yep I did when I had them do an upgrade. I left the dealer and they said to the programming was still running so the next day still did not work called XM helpdesk and they tried 2 more times. Finally, they switched me to the Techies and they got it to work.

Here's what they told me, he had to completely clear the old account and open a new one.

I think it was the fact that the tech had me sit in the truck with it running clear of all trees and buildings because the radio will shut off after 10 minutes if it's not running.

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, that kill the current subscription and opening a new one did not work either.  Looks like I may need to replace the unit which if I do, I'll go aftermarket. 

Anyone know if I can't get XM to authorize on my recently purchased 2009, do I have to replace the entire head unit, or is there a separate XM receiver outside the head unit that can be replaced?  I have tried extensive troubleshooting with SiriusXM, including killing current subscription and opening a new one, and nothing works.  I get the preview channel and during their holiday free preview a couple of weeks ago, i was able to get all music channels then, but once that ended, it was back to being unable to authorize the unit.

The dealer says it is working from their point of view, XM says it is the unit.  Replacing the unit would not be cheap, replacing the XM receiver, if separate would probably be less expensive I hope.  Thank you.

If your getting the preview channel you have the receiver. Unless it was changed in '09 from the '03-'06 model years the Sirus XM module is a separate module from the radio. In the '03-'06 it is a black box mounted behind the glove box.

Have you done the procedure to pull the ID for the module to talk to Sirus about it?

From what others have said it is a Sirus issue and they have to totally remove whatever account has been attached to that radio ID and start from scratch. If the person you talk to doesn't know what your talking about ask to talk to a supervisor or someone else.

Rodney

I agree with above poster in that if you can get the preview channel and during the fee period you got many channels then it's not a hardware issue with your AV it is a programing problem with them......

Very good, I'll give it another shot.  When you say pull the ID for the module, are you referring to the ID you get from channel 0 or is there a different ID number etched on that module?  Thank you.

I'm pretty sure that's what rodney was referring to.

They (for lack of a better term) marry the XM unit to the car and your information in their database, so you can't just get another module. Sooner or later if they tell you take it to a dealer ask them who is paying for it.

Back