• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Hello also from Toledo

BRAVO872

Greetings, I'm Gill :wave: ... just got myself a 2004 Z66 Avalanche, slick side, 214k.  Hoping to get it in for a tune-up sometime in the next couple weeks. Been reading up on it but would still appreciate any wisdom you guys can provide.

:welcome:

"Slick side" huh?  I have not heard them called that.
Yours sounds like a WBH = without body hardware.
214K.  Some would say that is just broken in.  (y)

The huge amount of information here can be overwhelming, but keep reading.

GoldBowTie said:
"Slick side" huh?  I have not heard them called that.
Yours sounds like a WBH = without body hardware.

"2003 models featured a darker cladding, from mid-year Avalanche could be ordered without the cladding. The uncladded model, known as the Without Body Hardware (or better by its acronym "WBH"), and alternatively called "slicksides" by GM marketers, resembles the '03-'05 Silverado in the front. " (y)

BRAVO872 said:
"2003 models featured a darker cladding, from mid-year Avalanche could be ordered without the cladding. The uncladded model, known as the Without Body Hardware (or better by its acronym "WBH"), and alternatively called "slicksides" by GM marketers, resembles the '03-'05 Silverado in the front. " (y)

I am aware of that.  But never heard them called slick side.

you would be the first to call a wbh slickside.

Whee di you get the quote from?

Seems like I have heard them referred to that as well, but I don't recall from where.

I first read that phrase on a wiki, I spent months looking for my Avalanche, I wanted a two-wheel drive without body cladding, which is pretty hard to find around here. I pretty much had to buy mine sight unseen all we had was a couple pictures. The day we went to pick it up we found out they had 20 phone calls on it earlier that day.

It's probably going in for a tune-up next week I was kind of hoping the Avalanche fan club would have some advice on what to check out while it's in the shop.

PS - the folks I got it from had never used the midgate or seen it done.

BRAVO872 said:
It's probably going in for a tune-up next week I was kind of hoping the Avalanche fan club would have some advice on what to check out while it's in the shop.

Browse the PROBLEM sections and see what is commonfor your series 2003-2006 avys.

It also depends on the maintenance that's been done to thus far and the overall upkeep of it.  If it's been well maintained and there may not be much to do to it.  If it's maintenance s spotty there could be a lot - brake lines, hubs, control arms, ball joints, you name it.  Did the seller provide you with maintenance records?  That would be a great place to start.

Back