• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2004 Avy DVD player in 2002 Avy no sound

TurboStitchCW

Hey everyone, as it says in the title, I installed an overhead DVD player from a 2004 into my 2002. It works, reads and, retains the DVD player memory.
There are a total of 6 wires that come out of the player (power, ground, serial data, left audio, right audio, and I assume a common audio ground) and one extra at the opposite end (bare wire).
My question is: do the audio wires have a constant output or is there a setting internally that sends power to the audio out?
Some diagrams I've seen says "common audio ground" and some say "radio on signal". Can anyone tell me which it is (2004 wiring harness).

I have already added an aux port to my stock radio, so I assume hard wiring the DVD audio outs to the audio out wiring coming out of the radio should work when the radio is set to aux. If that's wrong, please let me know.....I just can't get the dang audio to come out of the speakers.

Don't  know if the 2004 will work with the 2002 radio. The 2003-2006 trucks were pretty much wired the same except in 2006 some of the drive train related modules became CANBUS.

First thing you will need to have on your radio is the ability to do XM radio or an external CD player(Rear seat audio might also add this feature). If you don't have those it won't work with your radio until you grab a radio that has those options on them.  At least that is the deal with the 2003-2006 units.

Beyond that you have to find the data lines that go from one of those modules because that is what you will tap into.

You will just splice your overhead DVD player into the same lines that are fed through the other modules. The serial data line will control which unit does what. So if you have it wired and it is working but you have no audio you just need to tie into the r&l and common lines that feed into the radio and go from there.  Assuming everything is compatible between your 2002 deck and your 2004 overhead console.

Rodney

Maybe attachments will help.  It's a common ground according to factory wiring for 2004.  Seems DVD player does not need to match vehicle VIN, but 2002 pcm programming may or may not be right for a DVD player which apparently started in 2003.  Owners manual has lengthy instructions for making it work.  worth a read.

Attachments

• U42 VIN Info.pdf
    33 KB · Views: 7
  • Rear Seat Entertainment wiring.pdf
    117.8 KB · Views: 12
  • RearSeatEntertainment - OwnersManual.pdf
    141.6 KB · Views: 7
Thanks guys! I'll look at the attachments tomorrow....we are in Indiana and currently under a tornado warning. So of I am covering anything in those, I apologize.

I added aux to the stock radio, so I figured I'd just tap into those wires.

As far as the PCM, I wouldn't think that would be relevant since I am not going through any computers for anything. So far, I have direct hardwired to power, ground and serial.

Off the top of my head, I know in the 2004 owners manual, it says that you have to turn the radio to the RSE setting for the DVD audio to work....but I figured there has to be a signal that physically goes to the DVD to enable the sound. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Hell, if nothing else, I'll just get the kiddos some of the wireless headphones and call it good.

TurboStitchCW said:
Hell, if nothing else, I'll just get the kiddos some of the wireless headphones and call it good.

Or, let them do as I did growing up, look out the window.

J/K

Hope you get it figured out.

(y)

2002 had different computers and not much from later years works with these trucks.

now if a burban had it you might be able to make it work.... Like I added radio steering wheel controls.

Based on the following from the owners manual I would guess that the RSE system communicates with the radio on the serial data line, and this enables the user to select RSE as a source.  Maybe you need to have a radio which is programmed for the RSE system, in order for it to receive and process the RSE signal.  On the other hand, maybe RSE won't output sound unless it receives appropriate information from the radio.  Pure speculation.....

But I think being able to choose RSE on your radio is key to having this work through the vehicle speakers.

"The RSE system is capable of outputting audio to the vehicle speakers by using the radio. The RSE system
may be selected as an audio source on the radio if the RSE system power is on. Once the RSE system is
selected as an audio source on the radio, adjust the speaker volume on the radio, if necessary. If the RSE
system power is not on, the RSE system will not be an available source on the radio. Refer to the radio
information for the radio that your vehicle has for more information."

Back