• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How Would You Build The Ultimate AV?

fcfred

If money was no object and off road performance was the most desired outcome what would you do to an Av?

>:D Well fred just how much "money's no object" did you mean? Assumin I didnt just buy a Lamborghini 4x4 thingy they built in the 80s-90s, or a Hummer SUT (thought those were supposed to be out by now?) or could get back the money I spent on my last 2 "project high rider redneck" Suburbans I built, the list for my "ultimate offroad Avie" would be as follows.

First I would have to start with a 2500series Avie because I would yank the 8.1 (and pop that into a family skiboat for the hell of it) and pop in a Duramax diesel full of Banks extras into the beast.
Follow that up with a 6" suspension lift and 3" body lift so I could run 38x15.50R16E TRXUS STS tires mounted on Centerline Predator wheels. A 15k pound Milemarker in her nose to pull her fatarse outta the slop with (diesels SUCK in the mud they just to dang heavy up front).
ARB Lockers front and rear! Painted the cladding, chrome, bugshield, ventvisors, grill, bars (all the way around), safari rack up top with 360 degree lighting (PIAA of course). EVERYTHING but the tires would then be painted Ted Nugent "Wackmaster" Zebra Stripes, includin the rear passengers and back windows, the skiplates and axles included. Inside Id go headliner to carpet with Snow Leopard (nekkid chix look better on it than Zebra.. trust me). Giver about 5k watts worth of BOOM BOOM in the cab along with mandatory DVD screens from all angles and I think you get the picture...

MACDADDY BUBBAs BASSBOAT TOWIN, DEAD DEER HAULIN, CONCERT "BUS"..... aka "SHAGGIN WAGON IV" (the other 3 were the aformentioned Suburbans I did and 1 motorcoach I had for Titan games/tailgates)

Its a sick world and Ima happy guy,
RA

5.3 with some engine work to raise bottom end torque. Manual transfer case w/ granny low gears. GM 14bolt rear end or a Dana 80 filled with 4.56 gears and ARB Air Lockers. Underwater snorkel kit. 38.5"X11"X16" Interco TSL Boggers modded to have the "little" lugs removed. 12" Lift. Removable F&R Winch. Outside rollcage like a LR Defender 110. 3" Harnesses. Built-In Fire Extinguishing System. That should about do it. >:D

Oh yeah... to go ALL OUT money no object.... have someone graft a Dana solid front axle to it.

Hey RedAllison,

Why on Earth would you yank out the 8.1 Litre for your boat. Just go buy a Malibu :love:....they offer the engine

:p lol throw, I said slap her in a boat just because I would have a 8.1 layin around then. Malibu? Them rough ridin things? I was thinkin more about some old 20-21' daycruiser jet hull picked up on the cheap. Paint it "Nuge" like the truck and STAND BACK!
Sides that, Ill stick with my 225 SS ProMax/Allison XB2003... MUCH faster than either the Malibutique or the squirt boat and more fun than Ive ever had before (with my pants on anyway).

STAND ON IT SON,
RA

12" Lift
37" Tires
Kodiak Steps
Light Bar
Light Roof Bar
Corsa Exhaust
Supercharger
Line-X Cladding

That would be cool!

What about starting with a new 3/4 ton without the plastic cladding

solid axle swap in the front most likely a DANA 60
39 inch tires
slight lift with fender trimming to make said tires fit
bob the bed in a line following the angle of the roll bar thing
supercharger
exo cage
and maybe a zebra stripe paint job just for good measure

Definately with a "cladded" option.  Offer at least 3 engine options...5.3L/6.0L and perhaps a 427 or something bigger like a 502 or 572 would be nice, and a diesel/bio-diesel, but at least 3 options either way. Offer a basic truck, Z71, Z66,SS and a luxury version like LTZ.  Offer both 1500 and 2500.  The Z71 would once again be a high-end off roading package, not just a suspension package. 

But if you could only get one version of the Avalanche...2500 Z71 with a 427!

I would take my 2500 do a ORU solid axle swap and put a dana 60 up front with OX locker and hydraulic assist steering. keep my gm 14 bolt out back 5.13 gears. 12" of lift 40" super swamper LTB's or BOGGERS,  take the plastic cladding off and build custom black diamond plate armor with matching bumpers. 16,500 lb mile marker winch front and rear. My 8.1 already puts down over 500 HP so I will leave it and just ad a custom snorkle. the tranny would get a full overhaul with stall converter. the push button transfer would be changed for a manual doubler transfer. full roof rack with light bar and the necessary equipment for all the fun to match.  >:D

most older 2500 avy's has the 8.1 BBC witch is 496 CI
the newer one I think from 06 and up have the 6.0 sbc

See, Thats What I'm Talkin About! all these people get a woody over a body lift on top of a big ass erector set suspension. this is an Ultimate truck so lets talk about a real truck not a lifted car suspension.

mikeyjm1 said:
its a big truck. it deserves 2 1/2 ton Rockwells

the only reason I wouldn't do Rockwells is because the width. I know it can be narrowed as needed but I am not wanting a MONSTER TRUCK. I just want a capable off road rig that will go where I want and bring me back.

thundert56 said:
the only reason I wouldn't do Rockwells is because the width. I know it can be narrowed as needed but I am not wanting a MONSTER TRUCK. I just want a capable off road rig that will go where I want and bring me back.

I shoulda quoted you. Was actually giving you credit for thinking real truck improvements, instead of bolt on ifs lifts to make the problems BIGGER. most of these guys dream inside the box.

thanks Mike   

I love offroading thats why I built my K5 the way I did. If I didn't have to move about ever 3-6 years for the army I would have built my dream offroad avalanche. but for now it will be my tow truck for my 85 camaro and K5 for the next fiew years.

Back