Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We're changing forum software! Read the details here.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mud tire tread life/mileage????  (Read 12587 times)

Fowlhunter

• I love my Chevy Avalanche. #88 Fan.
Mud tire tread life/mileage????
« on: June 7, 2007, 10:57:36 AM »

I'm debating on what to go with, a mud tire or an all terrain tire???

I would like to know anyone running a mud tire and what kind of mileage you are getting (35 thousand, 40 thousand, etc)

:help:

Thanks
02 Z-71, Pewter, Cladded Fully Loaded.   Mods: FT Amber DRL's, Mag light mod, Camo Bug deflector & Vent shields, Z-71 Sun visor decals, Z-71 Mountain decals on rear quarters, Rancho 4" lift, 1-1/2" Rear coil spring spacers, Spohn upper and lower trailing arms and panhard bar, Eibach sway bars,  ArmorThaned cladding, GMT900 brake mod (drilled & slotted).

MyBigToy

• Too much power is just enough!
Re: Mud tire tread life/mileage????
« Reply #1 on: June 7, 2007, 11:10:34 AM »

It depends on how you use the truck or what look you want.

For my driving, I prefer an aggressive all-terrain rather than a mud tire. They are quieter and last longer than the majority of mud tires. I'll probably go with the BFG's when I replace the stock ATS's. That will be a while since I run my 20's for 8 months of the year.

I had a set of National Tire and Battery private label all terrains (if I remember right, they were called Terra Trac but they don't make them any more) on my 94 Sonoma for 50K miles and was happy with them.
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 LPM Z71 - Magnacharger w/3" pulley, TOG's headers, 216/224-.551/.551-115 cam/pushrods/dual springs/titanium retainers, built tranny, Yank TT2600 converter, 24K GVW Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Flex-A-Lites, ProCold intake, MSD wires & TR6 plugs, 20" Panther Juice 6's, 2.8" rear lowering springs, J&J Enterprises stainless grille, custom metal rear step bumper. Best vehicle I have owned to date!

Daily driver: 2012 Centennial edition 4LT Grand Sport Corvette convertible

DESERTAV

• Got Birds?
« Reply #2 on: June 7, 2007, 11:25:29 AM »

I just got rid of a set of 35 in mud grappler's. I had about 25000 miles on them and they were gone. I love the look and function of a mud tire but for the 95 + % of street driving I do it wasn't worth it anymore. I just bought a set of 37 in Nitto Terra grappler's. a lot of members are running them and have had very good mileage results from them. 45K -75K miles. The AV is a very heave truck and the Mud Tire just was not lasting enough for me. Plus dropping a grand every year for tires was going to get me divorced. So I had to stop that.

Just my 2 cents
2003 Z71 WBH,  Superlift FIT lift and 3 inch Body Lift, 37 Inch Toyo Mud's, 4:88 Gears,AEM cold air intake, Superchips programmer,And the almighty Buck Stop Pre-runner Bumper, Ram Air hood, and too much else to list!

Fowlhunter

« Reply #3 on: June 7, 2007, 13:42:26 PM »

Thanks guys.

I appreciate your input.

I like the BFG All Terrain/KO.  Thinking about LT285/70/17.
02 Z-71, Pewter, Cladded Fully Loaded.   Mods: FT Amber DRL's, Mag light mod, Camo Bug deflector & Vent shields, Z-71 Sun visor decals, Z-71 Mountain decals on rear quarters, Rancho 4" lift, 1-1/2" Rear coil spring spacers, Spohn upper and lower trailing arms and panhard bar, Eibach sway bars,  ArmorThaned cladding, GMT900 brake mod (drilled & slotted).

DESERTAV

• Got Birds?
« Reply #4 on: June 7, 2007, 13:50:54 PM »

Thanks guys.

I appreciate your input.

I like the BFG All Terrain/KO.  Thinking about LT285/70/17.

You will get pros and cons on this tire but I don't like it. I had 3 sets on my dodge separate in one year. They are also expensive. I just don't think they are worth the price for what you get. I would go with the Terra grappler or pro comp extreme all terrain.40000 K warrenty
2003 Z71 WBH,  Superlift FIT lift and 3 inch Body Lift, 37 Inch Toyo Mud's, 4:88 Gears,AEM cold air intake, Superchips programmer,And the almighty Buck Stop Pre-runner Bumper, Ram Air hood, and too much else to list!

johnv656

• CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 8, 2007, 14:17:38 PM »

Can anybody report on how the Terra Grapplers work in snow?

WILDFIRE

• CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member
  • I see...
« Reply #6 on: June 8, 2007, 23:09:25 PM »

Can anybody report on how the Terra Grapplers work in snow?
I'd like to know this also, I'm hoping good!
sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out

johnv656

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 06:17:21 AM »

Nobody that has these have run them in snow??  What about mud??

DESERTAV

• Got Birds?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 06:40:33 AM »

Sorry here in Phoenix it does not snow that much. I will report on the snow in December. I will be in Chicago for Christmas. As for mud I got a chance to test it out yesterday. It was so good I thought I had a mud tire on.

-ED

james21

• CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator
  • What Do You Do With Your AV
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 09:19:57 AM »

I've got about 8K on my Procomp Xterrains (Had them on for about a year and a half) and they seem like they still have 85-90% tread left. They are the best set of tires that I've had on my AV ever since I got it lifted. They are awesome offroad and on road. Although if you aren't going to be doing much offroading, it isn't a good tire then. My AV is strictly offroad now, witht the occassional trip to an AV meet. Another good set of tires are the Dueller Revo ATs, I've got a set on my other truck, and actually took them offroad right after I had them put on, went through a big mud pit (about 16"s deep) and had no problems. They lasted 17K already, and they are said to last at least 50K. They also did really well in the 3 feet of snow that we got this past winter, no problem in 4HI.

-James.
Avalanche 1500 BLK NFE w/ 4.56, locking Diff & 18inch wheels. MODS: Amber DRLs; Sunroof, Confer Rack; Volant Intake; MSD; NGK Iridiums; Magnaflow SS; PIAA low beams; HID Highs; Mercury Xenon 885 fogs; SOR front, WAAG rear; SS Bug Shield; Predator Dash & Grille lights, Whelen Strobes & TIR3s.
Newest Mod: 2nd Black Stealth Bumper; PC Xterrain; RCD 6", Rigid LED Bars front & rear; Dual Shocks.

Next Mods: LA Patented AV Snorkel
Never-to-Be Mods: Duramax/Allison; SOR Rear.

She's All Modded out.

TheBeast

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 11:40:43 AM »

Ditto on the X-Terrains!!! They do well in the snow also...
J.T.

2002 Summit White Z71 stock(ish)

NorthFace35

• got gas?
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 17:02:59 PM »

the xterrains are only good if you are an extreme offroader, i mostly do highway with the occasional trip-off-pavement and the xterrains served me well (except for road noise and a somewhat stiffer ride). But i dont know if someone had noriced this with the xterrains, but they work very good going forward, but they're really bad in reverse, i got myself stuck twice while reversing, they tend to dig themselves in when reversing
Used to have 2002 1500 North Face edition, Pro Comp 6" lift, 17x9 Xtreme alloys wheels, 315/70r17 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, tints, smoked taillights, HP Tune, K&N airfilter, Custom exhaust (no cats), Brush guard, Amber DRLs, HIDs, 7" in-dash monitor, dvd player, backup cam, aux trans cooler

2008 Silverado 2500 LT, ext. cab, 4x4

gtellez67

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 21:51:47 PM »

Toyo Open Country M/T last forever  quiet great off-road and on highway

DESERTAV

• Got Birds?
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 06:19:45 AM »

Toyo Open Country M/T last forever  quiet great off-road and on highway

15-26 K is forever??? Ok well thats a 35. Its a good mud tire maybe the best but I would not say it lasts forever. Very soft rubber and very loud highway. I have 4 friends who run this tire from a 35-37 inch. They all are on their 2nd-3rd set because it is a good tire but not a single one was able to get over 22000 miles on the tire. and They are loud well maybe not as loud as a jet engine but you see what I mean. I think you would get better mileage from a smaller tire But I don't know. And they are the most pricey MT out there.

TheBeast

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 06:29:19 AM »

the xterrains are only good if you are an extreme offroader, i mostly do highway with the occasional trip-off-pavement and the xterrains served me well (except for road noise and a somewhat stiffer ride). But i dont know if someone had noriced this with the xterrains, but they work very good going forward, but they're really bad in reverse, i got myself stuck twice while reversing, they tend to dig themselves in when reversing

Don't offroad backwards!!! :kidding:

They do seem to be made to work best going forward...
J.T.

2002 Summit White Z71 stock(ish)

SRFNSNO

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • Somthing new to mod
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 06:45:10 AM »

On my 2nd set of Interco STS A/T's Trxus
First set got 55K+ on them.( 5 tire rotation) Have bout 12K on 2nd set. (using 4 tier rotation for now)

yea I get some humm after some ware on them. good in snow sand Rock, & ok for mud
02AV-Fabtec 6", KnN, Ram Air Hood,Magnasun Super Charger, Dynatech Headers, MagnaFlow,17" Hutchison Dual Bead Locks,Interco All-Terrain 35"(lot of trimming up front),SSBC Tri-Piston Brakes & Colored SS Brake Lines, Cognito Steering, Flamed Puco Grill, My Flames are Spreading!
Thule Rack (For Rides),+++GHOST FLAMES....

BUDMAN

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
  • 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 07:08:22 AM »

It doesn't matter what the tire size is compared to duration.  It's the tire compound, pressure, weight, road, etc..

MT's are loud on the road.  Some louder than others, but in general, they're noisy on the road.  They're designed for offroad use, and are not that great on the road in the line of traction, especially wet/icy roads.

AT's attempt to blend offroad ability with on-road manners as well.  They're not great off-road, but will suit most considering most miles are always on the road.  They're considerably quieter on the road and offer better traction in bad road conditions.

I have Nitto Terra Grapplers, TSL Boggers, and BFG A/T KO on our vehicles.  The Boggers suck on the road, and will get chewed up prematurely because that's not what they're designed for.  The BFG's are loud, but have good tread wear.  The Grapplers are the best tire I have for the AV, and have over 40,000 on them now, with maybe 10-15K left.

It's all a matter of what you need.  The MT's look cool, but I don't need the noise.  I'm too old for that cr@*.  The Grapplers fill my needs, as well as the fenders. :4:
Lil Black AV

DESERTAV

• Got Birds?
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 07:45:47 AM »

very well said Terra grappler's rule  :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

johnv656

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 08:42:06 AM »

very well said Terra grappler's rule :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

My mind is made up, Terra grapplers it is in a 35 incher

BUDMAN

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
  • 2008 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 08:48:20 AM »

My mind is made up, Terra grapplers it is in a 35 incher

I hope you have a 6" lift or sawzall.  Either way, great choice in tires.

To answer your question about snow, they worked really well for me when I was in the snow in NM and CO.  As for mud, they're so/so.  The lugs are not as deep as a MT and don't clear as easily.
Lil Black AV

SRFNSNO

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • Somthing new to mod
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 09:33:45 AM »

Keep the RPM's up and Wheels Spinning they will Clean off! :4:
02AV-Fabtec 6", KnN, Ram Air Hood,Magnasun Super Charger, Dynatech Headers, MagnaFlow,17" Hutchison Dual Bead Locks,Interco All-Terrain 35"(lot of trimming up front),SSBC Tri-Piston Brakes & Colored SS Brake Lines, Cognito Steering, Flamed Puco Grill, My Flames are Spreading!
Thule Rack (For Rides),+++GHOST FLAMES....

johnv656

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 10:46:11 AM »

Yes, I have a 6 inch lift.

Fowlhunter

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 20:14:52 PM »

Great review BUDMAN, Thanks for the input.

gtellez67

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 21:44:02 PM »

15-26 K is forever??? Ok well thats a 35. Its a good mud tire maybe the best but I would not say it lasts forever. Very soft rubber and very loud highway. I have 4 friends who run this tire from a 35-37 inch. They all are on their 2nd-3rd set because it is a good tire but not a single one was able to get over 22000 miles on the tire. and They are loud well maybe not as loud as a jet engine but you see what I mean. I think you would get better mileage from a smaller tire But I don't know. And they are the most pricey MT out there.
I only have 10k On my set of 35's two other guys have them at work one has 55k on his still has about 20% life left the other one has 35k on his they are quieter than Nitto Mud Grapplers

Motion427

• Looking for a hi-speed muffler bearing??????
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 03:51:32 AM »

I run the Nitto Terra Grappler in the winter(285-70-17).
O.K by me. I just got a truck load of those Nitto's this week also.
For the summer,I just got my 20" chrome KMC Rockstar wheels this week.I decided to go again with an All-Terrain,this time Pro-Comp All terrain(we had some good feedback with them also for year round driving.I'm going for 275-60-20. I have a 3" lift on mine so I think it will look O.K.
I'll post some pics on my website when they are installed.I also I recently painted the flares and installed a Denali tailgate hangle 2.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 03:57:33 AM by Motion427 »
04 AV 6.0L LQ9,Z71
Comp Cam,Corsa,Dynatech,MSD,TVS 1900 Supercharger, Eaton Truetrac,Skyjacker,KMC,AVS.
Yank converter on stand by.
06 TBSS,Bolt on's
10 Camaro RS/SS Bolt on's
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 24 queries.