Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Did We Talk You Into Buying An Avalanche?  (Read 236642 times)

mmmooretx

• CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member
Re: Did We Talk You Into Buying An Avalanche?
« Reply #350 on: July 29, 2010, 17:51:24 PM »

I bought a S-10 Blazer with the off road package, 2.8l, and an S-10 PU extended cab with the 4.3l 197hp.  Both had over 200k on them, my pu is pretty tired and am looking for a replacement.  I have gone through most pu & SUVs and have pretty much settled on the 2011 Avalanche LT with Z71 & toyz.  Now is for the gathering of money so probably early 2011 I will probably roll tax return, bonus etc. into a down as my last loan other than the house pays off early Nov.  This site has a lot of good info and I have been reading a lot.  It has helped a lot but I think I will just get everything I want in the LT, still thinking on color, and pull the trigger.  It will be a while but accesorization will occur.
Thanks again.
Mike Moore
N5RWH

sacluded

« Reply #351 on: May 11, 2011, 05:54:10 AM »

I always thought AVs were ugly.  I thought it was a waste of a truck or a waste of an SUV.

End of 2006, my employer, Tower Records, was finalizing it's liquidation, and I needed a job.  I ended up as a salesman for a very large Northern California Chevy dealer.  I'll leave the name out since I don't know the rules here too well.

I had somebody come in that wanted to buy an Avalanche.  As a salesman, some of the things I ask are what they plan on doing with the vehicle, to get an idea of what else might interest them.  They listed off a multitude of things, then they showed me why the Avalanche worked for them.  They had me sold on the truck after that point.

I worked at that dealership for about six months and left in March of 2007.  I loved the dealer, loved the job, hated the hours.  I was also going back to school, and I just couldn't do that with the hours worked as a salesman.

Fast forward to now.  I was in an accident last Saturday and my VW Jetta is most likely going to be totaled out.  I'm looking for a new vehicle, and the Avalanche has been on the back of my mind all this time.

I found this site looking into it's gas milage.  I knew it wouldn't be in the 30s like my Jetta, but I wanted to find out just how bad it would be.  It looks like I'll be lucky to get 20s on the freeway.  I commute between Sacramento and the Bay Area one to three times a week., so mpg is a concern of mine.

After reading this site, I've determined that the lower mpg is worth the trade off.

I'm now on the hunt for my first AV.  My credit is terrible, so I'm looking for an 02 or 03 most likely.  Hope to find one I can afford.

I want an ugly one with the cladding too!
My hobbies are cars and guns.  I hate this state.

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #352 on: May 11, 2011, 06:23:11 AM »

That is a funny story when a buyer sales a saleman on a vehicle. Good luck with the hunt.
2003 2500

avz66

• CAFCNA 2009 Supporting Member
  • AV - AHOLIC!!!
« Reply #353 on: May 12, 2011, 01:01:24 AM »

:cheers: that the best one  :A:
2002 Avalanche Z66 Indigo Blue - Bought 9-25-01 as of today  0,106,000 miles

66 AV gtgs - 22,892 Miles - Tx. (Hou, S.A.,A) LA, KY, AL,TENN., SD, Wy

CAFCNA Member - 305

Mods - Cowl Hood, Epic Gladiator 20s, Volant CAI, SportsWing, Flowmaster 40, Trenz Bullet Grill and Bowtie, AMP fuel door

7-13-15 stage 4 cancer

gopherbacon

• mmm bacon
« Reply #354 on: May 12, 2011, 01:53:47 AM »

:cheers: that the best one  :A:

X2!  Love when I see someone slam their door into my truck in a parking lot,  i just laugh and shrug it off since theres no damage to the "ugly" cladding  :A:
04 Avalanche 2500, replaced with..
06 Avalanche 2500, DGM
06 Audi A3, Red, replaced with..
07 Audi S6, Silver, V10 powah
95 Isuzu Rodeo, Green.. the new project
08 Kawasaki Ninja 650R, Black

chAVey

• CAFCNA 2012 Supporting Member
  • Ahh!
« Reply #355 on: May 12, 2011, 06:09:25 AM »

I'm now on the hunt for my first AV.  My credit is terrible, so I'm looking for an 02 or 03 most likely.  Hope to find one I can afford.

Good Luck!  And Welcome.  FYI - If you can get a 2003, do.  There slight differences from the 2002 to 2003 model year (electrical).  And a 2003 was before GM started "decontenting" to save money.

sacluded

« Reply #356 on: May 12, 2011, 10:32:04 AM »

Good Luck!  And Welcome.  FYI - If you can get a 2003, do.  There slight differences from the 2002 to 2003 model year (electrical).  And a 2003 was before GM started "decontenting" to save money.

Thanks, for the advice.  That's exactly the kind of information I've been scouring the forums for.  Unfortunately, I'm going to be at the mercy of my budget.  This wasn't planned at all and I don't have much saved now.  Just spent a bunch on guns.
My hobbies are cars and guns.  I hate this state.

Bob A.

• Out with the 04 & in with the 2011!
« Reply #357 on: June 13, 2011, 12:43:27 PM »

Not sure yet.  I have a quote, but cannot find any online information about the option packages.  When I bought my 04, the book was over 35 pages and now is it 8 pages of pictures.  I don't have a clue as to what this quote actually means.
2012 Equinox (Wifes Toy)
2011 Avalanche LTZ
2004 Avalanche
1998 Suburban
1991 Plymouth Voyager (Devorced & Broke)
1979 Suburban
1975 Corvette
1975 Blazer
1972 Blazer
1970 Blazer
1968 Camaro RS/SS
1965 Corvair Corsa

gumbolsu99

« Reply #358 on: January 24, 2013, 05:18:01 AM »

I am back with CAFCNA.  I was a member in the beginning when I bought an 02 White Z-66 Avalanche, but I traded it on 05.  Yesterday, I bought a loaded 07 Black Z-71 (LTZ).  It felt great driving an Avalanche again!

MS03 2500

« Reply #359 on: January 24, 2013, 07:01:33 AM »

Congrats on the new to you Av
2003 2500

74Rallye

« Reply #360 on: March 20, 2013, 18:05:42 PM »

I could not have made an educated buy without this site. I also knew what to do to my AV to get it into prime condition before I even had it in the driveway. Thanks!

OKStriple

« Reply #361 on: March 24, 2013, 10:02:33 AM »

This site didn't 'talk me into' and Avalanche but it helped me pull the trigger.  I call they guy about buying my Avy because it was priced substantially lower than a lot of other around.  I got details on what needed repaired and he told me about a check engine light he claimed was something to do with gas vapor venting and that he thought it just needed a gas cap. So before I looked at the Avy I pulled carfax and saw it had a past history of the solonoid being replaced several times in its early years,  I researched here about this issue and found out about the P0449 code and that a dealer might charge $250 to repair, the part is about $150, but that you could find the old part by searching for a corresponding Suburban part for $23.
The CEL was the deal breaker for me so I took my scan tool and P0449 came up.  Then I KNEW itwould only be $23 to fix but the seller probably thought I was looking at a $250 issue.

I wouldn't have bought a car with  a CEL if I hadnt seen how easy the fix was here.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 13:48:16 PM by OKStriple »
2006 Avalanche LS 2wd

mavericknj

• CAFCNA 2016 Premium Member
  • As the Avy goes rolling along
« Reply #362 on: April 3, 2013, 21:32:19 PM »

I did not know about this site, until I ran in club member. A week after I brought the Avy, I struck a conversation and he put onto this site. Thanks Ralph W. of NJ. This site has been a godsend. I am enjoy one of the best vehicles I ever owned. I recommend this club and the like to all my friends.  Valueable information here
13, LTZ Black, Sunroof,  DVD, Bose Stereo (w/rear ent),  Leather/Pwr Seats, Pewter Gray Interior, K&N Air Filter, Edge Evolution (CTS),  20 Rims, WeatherTech Floor Mats, 145 amp Altenator

Jakupko

« Reply #363 on: April 26, 2013, 20:16:24 PM »

Appreciate the input. It made me buy a 13 fairway metallic LT Z71 instead of a Tundra.  Looking forward to being part of the club.

MS03 2500

« Reply #364 on: April 27, 2013, 15:53:57 PM »

Sounds like a good upgrade Jakupko  :welcome: to the club.
2003 2500

arachnyd

« Reply #365 on: June 27, 2013, 13:57:06 PM »

I would not have bought my avalanche if it weren't for this site!

I found this site and looked at it quite a bit. I thought I was going to go with a typical pickup but the reports seemed so solid on this cars- and the support group (AKA this website) seemed helpful enough, that I really let myself dig into the trucks a little more, and there is no car undervalued as much as the Gen 1 avy. In fact, they are so cheap that I thoroughly thought they must be horrible, unreliable cars to be so cheap. On the flip side when I realized that they were incredibly reliable and their price was so low simply because of the platform and the cosmetic component, I was hooked.

Now that I've gotten 2 feet in and I own one, I'm not quite as convinced as I was before, but its not a bad gig. still a budget buy for what you get. I paid a premium to get a fully loaded 05 LT. A similarly optioned truck would have been at least 3-5k more, plus this avalanche I feel like can actually "do more".

I can't help but wonder why GM never advertised it. I mean I've bought 3 new trucks (like brand new from the dealer) since 2003. Never ONCE did I know anything about the avalanche besides it being a "goofy overpriced truck". I never knew it had side storage, or that it had a midgate that turned it into an 8 ft bed. (I was a mess trying to find a 4 door truck that could haul 8' pieces of drywall rarely but when necessary... all the 4 door trucks have 5-6.5' beds!). In 2011 when I bought my last new truck, I wanted the Dodge "Rambox", which I thought was so innovative and creative- who would have thought GM had been doing it for 10 years already! To make matter worse, I actually test drove and looked at GM, Dodge, and Ford! One truck was an F150, one was a GMC, and one was a Dodge, and never once did I see any mention of these things.

Here was a truck that could do everything I ever needed it to, and I never knew about it until 10 years later. I don't recall ever seeing an advertisement or a commercial telling me what it could do, and I never knew anyone who owned one. Crazy.

I am about 95% sure this avy will be temporary- before I upgrade to a 2012 or 2011. These things are pretty amazing, and I really can't believe I never knew anything about them until the last few months!
05 LT Z71 1500 WBH Black

Current Other Rides: 11 Mercedes E350, 10 Cadillac CTS 6spd SPP DI, 06 BMW 330i,  06 Vstrom 1000, 00 Corvette Z06r FRC,96 Arctic Cat 600, 80 Camaro Z28, . RIP in last year: 11 Ram 1500 Big Horn, 10 Camaro SS BumbleBee, 11 Camaro LS, 01 Mercedes SLK 320

oih82w8

• CAFCNA 2015 Premium Member
  • Longtime Chevy owner...First time Avalanche owner
« Reply #366 on: October 24, 2015, 07:08:46 AM »

Long time Chevy owner...First time Avalanche owner.  I may get some flak from earlier Avy guys/gals, but this is my story.  I thought that the Avalanche was a different breed of animal when I first noticed them back in the day, but could not get over the "cladding" on the lower portion of the vehicle, and paid them little to no mind afterwards.  When the wife and I were cruising the local car lot last weekend "just looking" and saw a Granite Blue 2008 Avalanche, we took pause and gave it a second look.  This model was different, no cladding which drastically changed the look of the often overlooked vehicle.  We took it for a spin and it was "game on", we took it home that day with a "We Owe" listing of cutting new keys since the bed saddle boxes were unresponsive, a couple of remotes were scrounged up and to look into a noise towards the driver side rear (turned out to be a broken shock absorber).

Bottom line, no this forum did not talk me into buying an Avalanche, but has proven to be a fountain of knowledge which I hope never runs dry.   :A:
oih82w8 = "oh I hate to wait"

2008 LT 5.3L; K&N air filter, Magnaflow muffler, so far...

TonyAngel

« Reply #367 on: November 16, 2015, 22:17:05 PM »

I just bought an '04 Avalanche.  It's my first GM vehicle ever.  I wasn't even considering buying an Avalanche, but a friend of mine called me to tell me that he knew of a killer deal on an Avalanche and thought that I might be interested.  The '04 had 55,000 or so miles on it and was in really good condition, but I didn't know much about the truck.  My son has a 1500 series Chevy pickup and I really didn't care much for the way it drives.

I found this site and did a bunch of research and decided to go ahead and get it.  I'm loving everything about the Avy, except the gas mileage.  The Avy has much better road manners than the pick up.  I suppose it's due to the platform and weight of the Avy.  I really like the "planted" feel of the Avy.

MS03 2500

« Reply #368 on: November 17, 2015, 09:43:31 AM »

Glad to see you like it, the AV is a chopped Suburban AKA SUV versus a pickup. There is a world of difference between a people hauler and a truck.
2003 2500

Scorpian2069

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #369 on: December 17, 2019, 14:30:05 PM »

Yes you all totally talked me into it, but to be fair I've  wanted an AV since I sat in the first one I saw at the Chicago auto show back in 2001. From my first truck A Scottsdale to a Siverado to an Avalanche, Bow-Tie till I die. Ps thanks for the push. :thumbsup:

EXT4ME

• CAFCNA 2019 Premium Member
  • ... I saw a DEADHEAD sticker on a Cadillac ...
« Reply #370 on: December 17, 2019, 17:27:40 PM »

Yes you all totally talked me into it, but to be fair I've  wanted an AV since I sat in the first one I saw at the Chicago auto show back in 2001. From my first truck A Scottsdale to a Siverado to an Avalanche, Bow-Tie till I die. Ps thanks for the push. :thumbsup:

Enjoy your new ride and welcome.

:thumbsup:
2004 Cadillac Escalade EXT, White Diamond, New Shale front seat leather from The Seat Shop. WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit. Powerflow Pro-Fit Splash Guards. Arnott/Bilstein front shocks and rear air shocks with Arnott air compressor kit. Refinish Restorer. SeaFoam. Goodyear (Now Continental) Gatorback belts.  BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 23 queries.