• June 19, 2020 - We've been making good progress moving into the new forums. Still much to be done. Thank you for your patience and understanding through this process.

New Avalanche coming in 2020

Vaeagleav

PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
SM 2006
SM 2005
Full Member
We should do everyone a favor and not repeat unsubstantiated rumors of a comeback every year......(just my .02 though.)

:deadhorse: :deadhorse:    :B:
 

grnxnam

SM 2006
Full Member
Vaeagleav said:
We should do everyone a favor and not repeat unsubstantiated rumors of a comeback every year......(just my .02 though.)

:deadhorse: :deadhorse:    :B:
Or, just never post anything from GMauthority...
 

CarMech1969

Full Member
frito said:
I read that today as well and think it is very cool.  Swiss Army Knife like and utilitarian.  Not the overpriced luxo-truck that seems to be the trend these days.  I'm sure over time they'll work out the range issue.  I also read today that Tesla is aiming for million mile drive trains since there is less to go wrong on electric drive trains.  They're starting with he semis with the intent of pushing the million mile range down to the cars.
Imagine that! A company with the courage to bring out a midgate truck!! Lol....
GM pioneers what in many people's opinion is the "perfect truck"..and then they halt production. Just seems laughable.
Anyhow, if Bollinger provides different powerplant options for this thing, it could possibly be a hit with the general public.
Not everyone wants to or has the means to go electric. Not to mention all the metals that must be mined out of the ground to build batteries and the electric powerplants. Can't be great for the environment. The fact that it is electric seems like a smokescreen to me. I dunno.
Just my opinion  >:D

CarMech1969
 

ca2kjet

Staff member
Webmaster
PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
Full Member
I seriously think GM has intentionally sabotaged the Avalanche. We can infer this by comparing their bread and butter Suburban. So lets break this down...

[list type=decimal]
[*]Sales of the first gen are high, especially for such a unique vehicle.
[*]Sales right out of the gate for the 2007 MY are strong but no where near the level of the 2001-2006 MY. Difference in sales numbers from previous gen can be chalked up to gas prices, peoples sudden loss of interest in gas guzzlers, etc. How do we know this? Because the Suburban saw the same exact drastic decrease in sales numbers, and I do mean drastic.
[*]The economy soon tanks and sales drop off a cliff. Even the Suburban hits rock bottom at just over 40k vs well over 100k in prior years.
[*]By 2010, Avalanche sales start to tick up and by 2012 they were on the path to a decent recovery, albeit still small. The same trend was happening for the Suburban.
[*]Sales of the suburban still, to this day, hover around 50-60k a year. That's a far cry from its 150k sales back in ~2001. According to GM logic, the Suburban should have been tanked.
[*]GM introduces an Avalanche-esque Silverado to gauge interest...
GM: "Looks like nobody wants an Avalanche."
Literally everyone: "Where's the midgate!?"
GM: "Yep, see, no one wants this."
Literally everyone: ???

[*]We'll never see sales numbers like we did around the late 90s/early 2000s for any SUV. The Ford Expedition was selling over 200k! During the down turn it barely got over 30-40k. That's a simple fact of life now. People have moved away from big honk'n gas guzzlers, the average family size has decreased thus requiring less seating and ironically, the utility aspect of the Avalanche probably fits the current state of life more than the Suburban and yet GM won't take a chance and bring it back with all the modern improvements.
[*]We're now seeing a drastic increase in sales for these vehicles. Heck, the Ford Expedition wasn't getting past 60k and then their 2019 model has exploded in sales. It will be interesting to see what the sales numbers of GM's next gen Suburban will be. I have a hunch it's going to be big.
[/list]

GM, if you don't have a successor to the Avalanche hidden back there somewhere, then you blew it. This was the best time to reintroduce one and I bet they would sell like hot cakes.
 

ygmn

Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Charter Member
PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
Full Member
great post but I would like to add...

The cost of a new vehicle today is CRAZY.
Price has increased huge % per year and much greater than salaries have.
I see manufacturers offering 7 year loans - - CRAZY heck I remember when 3 year was the normal loan term.
4 years was long.
PRices went up then came the 5 year note.

Today prices are up and they just blew past 6 year note and went to a 7 year note.

Heck some new cars cost more then some houses in my area... and these are GM & FOrd vehicles.

Crazy new world we live in

OR
I am getting to be the cranky old man.
 

frito

PM 2018
PM 2017
Full Member
ygmn said:
great post but I would like to add...

The cost of a new vehicle today is CRAZY.
Price has increased huge % per year and much greater than salaries have.

Crazy new world we live in

OR
I am getting to be the cranky old man.
Yeah, it's NUTS how much prices have gone up.  I don't foresee ever buying a new vehicle at this rate.  And you may be cranky.  I know I'm cranky; but, I think the reason I'm cranky is because of how ludicrous new vehicle prices are these days. 
 

Vaeagleav

PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
SM 2006
SM 2005
Full Member
Some true things said above but I don't see the AV or lack there of as a simple issue. Lots more factors to consider.
Back in the day when AVs were being made and on my local dealership lots there was maybe four AVs but 30 Silverados that were 10,000 dollars or more cheaper then the AVs and the sales people didn't know all the features of the AV. So the average buyer would feel that the AV was not worth the money.
Federal fleet gas mileage standards for the car companies were getting harder to meet so they didn't want a bunch of gas guzzlers in the lineup.
Suburbans kind of held their own place probably due to government deals for security/law enforcement/fire dept and escort vehicles as well as the few remaining soccer moms and limo type companies who still needed the space inside.
Some companies are considering to stop making family sedans now and just make larger SUVs so who really knows?
It is true that family numbers have gone down but individual numbers (the size of humans) has not gone down and some people still need the space inside so they can fit in a vehicle. They just can't it in the small cracker box modern "SUV"s they call now. Then you have the fact that people seem convinced now that they need all the electronic bells and whistles they can fit on a moving platform so where does it all fit? Think off all the entertainment features,communications,safety equipment sensors and in some cases self driving/parking electronics now.
Compare al those features and other stuff to vehicles from 15 or 20 years ago and it's obvious as to why the costs have gone up.......
 

frito

PM 2018
PM 2017
Full Member
Vaeagleav said:
Then you have the fact that people seem convinced now that they need all the electronic bells and whistles they can fit on a moving platform so where does it all fit? Think off all the entertainment features,communications,safety equipment sensors and in some cases self driving/parking electronics now.
Compare al those features and other stuff to vehicles from 15 or 20 years ago and it's obvious as to why the costs have gone up.......
Man, ain't that the truth.  I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I would happily do without all that stuff - and in many cases don't want all the "assists" the feds & insurance companies force on us.  Heck, the '01 BMW 325i I ordered many moons ago has none of this stuff.  It doesn't have heated seats, heck it doesn't even have power seats for that matter.  It doesn't have cruise control.  It doesn't have leather.  It doesn't have steering wheel controls.  It does have an adjustable headrest so my chin is not forced into my chest along with a manual transmission and sport package.  And after 19 years and 224,000 miles it's still my fun to drive daily driver.  Yeah, keep all the bloat off of the new vehicles, bring the price down accordingly and I might consider a new one. 

And this brings up an interesting topic.  After CarMech1969 posted the link to the 2500 for sale outside of Toronto, I did some browsing this morning.  I was surprised, and in awe, as too how many 2500's had a sunroof with cloth bucket seating.  That's more up my alley than a truck loaded with leather that wants to do the driving for me.
 

newavguy

PM 2017
PM 2015
SM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
Full Member
That's one of the options I never wanted is a sunroof.  I consider them nothing but problems
 

ca2kjet

Staff member
Webmaster
PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
Full Member
All great points folks.

I had a feeling the pricing factor would come up, almost mentioned it in my previous post. So here it goes...

I too was under the impression the pricing was out of control. That was until I started doing inflation calculations on MSRP pricing over the last couple of decades. My jaw dropped. As crazy as this sounds, pricing hasn't changed much at all. A fully loaded 2001 Suburban was over 60k in today's dollars. That's not far off the mark for a fully equipped 2020 at 65k.

It's the constant technology advancements that keeps the price where it is with all the extra gizmos and gadgets. Price should be going down, but they keep finding ways to maintain the status quo. Heck, why not. If you can slap a $100 entertainment screen on the back of a seat and charge a $500 premium on each device, you've made gold!
 

ygmn

Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Charter Member
PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
PM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
Full Member
but a fully loaded 2002 avy in 2001 was around $35k in 2001 dollars...
What was sticker back then on this burb?

INflation has been in Check for the past 20 years...heck that is why interest rates are so dayum low.
 

ca2kjet

Staff member
Webmaster
PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
Full Member
ygmn said:
but a fully loaded 2002 avy in 2001 was around $35k in 2001 dollars...
What was sticker back then on this burb?
$38-42k depending on options.

Adjusted for inflation, that's around 60k in 2019
 

Vaeagleav

PM 2020
PM 2019
PM 2018
PM 2017
PM 2016
PM 2015
PM 2014
PM 2013
SM 2006
SM 2005
Full Member
Time2kyl said:
A new one, I just bought a new truck to replace my 13. Crap
I wouldn't get upset it ain't gonna happen.....Just the yearly optimists coming  out ... >:D

:deadhorse:
 

frito

PM 2018
PM 2017
Full Member
I know it's not going to happen so not to  :deadhorse:, but I went to the auto expo yesterday with my sister who will be in the market to replace her '06 Avy in the spring (body rot) and spoke to the lady at Chevy trucks about how they need to bring back the Avy.  She said that she hears that all the time at every show she attends.  Of course I informed her about the mid-gate and showed her my collage that displays all the multiple uses of it.  She had no idea of everything it could do and helped her understand why we are all so passionate about it.  She gave me the requisite "Never Say Never" to which I politely said "It ain't ever going to happen".  Sounds like Gm is definitely getting the message; they just choose not to listen.

All that being said, my sister texted me after she left and said that after she got in her Avy to head home it is still the perfect vehicle for her.  It's times like this I wish pursued my passion as a youngster vs. the "sensible college path".  Had I followed my dreams I might just be able to restore her Avy for her. 
 

raleighblazer2

SM 2007
SM 2006
Full Member
Looks like this is what is supposed to be coming down the pike instead of the Av:

https://www.autoweek.com/news/future-cars/a30851715/hummer-ev-truck-will-offer-3-motor-options-report-says/

Tom
 

CarMech1969

Full Member
frito said:
I know it's not going to happen so not to  :deadhorse:, but I went to the auto expo yesterday with my sister who will be in the market to replace her '06 Avy in the spring (body rot) and spoke to the lady at Chevy trucks about how they need to bring back the Avy.  She said that she hears that all the time at every show she attends.  Of course I informed her about the mid-gate and showed her my collage that displays all the multiple uses of it.  She had no idea of everything it could do and helped her understand why we are all so passionate about it.  She gave me the requisite "Never Say Never" to which I politely said "It ain't ever going to happen".  Sounds like Gm is definitely getting the message; they just choose not to listen.

All that being said, my sister texted me after she left and said that after she got in her Avy to head home it is still the perfect vehicle for her.  It's times like this I wish pursued my passion as a youngster vs. the "sensible college path".  Had I followed my dreams I might just be able to restore her Avy for her.
Arm yourself with a MIG welder, replacement body panels, grinders, cut-off wheels etc - and you can fix up the Avalanche nice  (y)
 

frito

PM 2018
PM 2017
Full Member
Too late.  I helped her buy a new 2019 Nissan Frontier the Sunday before last.  That baby is old school, still has leaf springs and all.  (y)
 

spidey

Full Member
frito said:
Too late.  I helped her buy a new 2019 Nissan Frontier the Sunday before last.  That baby is old school, still has leaf springs and all.  (y)
I had a 2005 Frontier before my Avy, they have barely changed, they look more or less the same

I also get better gas milage with my Avy than the Frontier ever did.  Wonder if they fixed that, Frontiers and Titans were always pigs on gas
 

frito

PM 2018
PM 2017
Full Member
spidey said:
I had a 2005 Frontier before my Avy, they have barely changed, they look more or less the same

I also get better gas milage with my Avy than the Frontier ever did.  Wonder if they fixed that, Frontiers and Titans were always pigs on gas
Frontier will get a bit better than her '06 Avy.  If I'm not mistaken it was rated at high teens city low twenties highway.  Not spectacular but not awful either for an old school truck.  I think it's rated at 6,500 pounds towing capacity which is way more than she'll ever need and not too shabby for a small truck.
 

spidey

Full Member
frito said:
Frontier will get a bit better than her '06 Avy.  If I'm not mistaken it was rated at high teens city low twenties highway.  Not spectacular but not awful either for an old school truck.  I think it's rated at 6,500 pounds towing capacity which is way more than she'll ever need and not too shabby for a small truck.
That was one of the reasons I got it, was the highest payload and towing for a mid size.  I liked the truck, but we outgrew it with 3 kids.
 
Top